Power and Wealth

The Terrible Trio as Angel had taken to calling them, were up to something. They spent hours pouring over books that she knew had nothing to do with their work. She heard bits and pieces of their thoughts and knew they thought her dad to be behind everything. That was fine, just as long as they stayed out of the way.

December had arrived, there was snow covering Scotland. They would be leaving in two weeks for their Christmas break. With this being the first Christmas she was at Hogwarts full-time, they had come up with a plan. She would stay with her dad, but she would floo to the Malfoy Family Christmas Eve Ball. She knew her Aunt Cissy would already have started the plans and decorations in March. It was her aunt's most lavish event and nothing was left to chance.

Pureblood custom required that she have an escort and appropriate chaperone if not accompanied by family, her dad had drawn the short stick of staying at the castle to watch those staying behind. So, Draco would be her escort, and her aunt and uncle her official chaperones.

She was currently using a notes quill as she listened to Professor Binns drone on about Goblin Wars. Draco sat next to her, well slept next to her. He had lost the battle to sleep as had more than half the class about 20 minutes into the lesson. The only other person she could see that wasn't asleep or dazed was Granger.

She wondered why Weasley hadn't told the girl about notes quills. Most teachers didn't allow them, but it was the only way to get through History of Magic without going insane. She wondered if he even knew about them though seeing as they were a bit pricey.

Hers had been a present from her dad when she had started studying textbooks in their library a few years ago. She caught sight of the clock tower outside of the classroom and decided to be nice and wake Draco before the bell tower announced the end of class. She thought they used a room so close to the bell to be sure the students woke up at the end. Students had been sleeping in this class many years now.

She packed up her bag and his with a wave of her wand. One of her favorite tricks, it didn't take a spell, but more of intent. Her dad had told her that in certain situations in which there isn't a spell or she hadn't learned one, to let her mind fill with imagining what she needed and push her magic through her wand. She took a quick peek in his head and smiled when she saw he was dreaming of playing quidditch. He was such a boy.

She softly spoke to him. "Draco...Draco." All she got was a twitch. "Draco, it's time to wake up." She said a bit louder. That seemed to work, she soon had Gray eyes staring into hers. "What's going on?" He asked sitting up and clearing his throat. He smiled when he heard her giggle into his mind. "Well, you decided to sleep through class. Me, being the best friend ever that I am, decided to wake you before the bell." As she said that the loud bell of the clock tower startled every one awake, some falling to the floor in fright.

Draco laughed, "Thanks, Angel. That was very un-Slytherin if you." He said with a smirk. He moved to gather his things only to see they were already put away. "Well, now I think you want something." He said with a faux suspicious look. "Who? Me? Want something? Never." She said with a sly wink. They made their way out of the class and down the stair to dinner.

"Just keep this in mind when buying my Christmas presents." She said making him laugh out loud. Others looking at him like he was crazy until he gave them the Malfoy glare. It wasn't as famous as the Snape's glare, but it got the job done. "Dad would be proud." She said with a giggle as they crossed the main floor.

She watched as the student cleared a path for them. She wondered if they did it on purpose or subconsciously, she found that power and pride usually made her paths clear. It was an easy trek to the great hall where lunch would be served any moment. Draco's "guards" had found them and were tagging along as usual.

They made small talk as they filled their plates and glasses. She admitted that Crabbe and Goyle weren't as bad as she had first thought. Nothing had ever been expected of them so they never did anything. She was working with them on their grades and homework as they were abysmal. They looked at her with awe filled eyes and the Slytherin in her loved it.

She had just finished her liquid lunch when the mail arrived. She smiled immediately spotting the Malfoy's regal Eagle Owl that Draco's parents used for special items. As he lowered she saw a small beautifully wrapped package in his claws. The owl landed gracefully and held out his talon allowing her to take his burden. She gave him a nod of thanks and stole a piece of the lunch meats as a treat for him before he flew off.

Draco was busy with his own owl which had landed less gracefully in front of him. She ran her hands over the box, the monogram telling her it was her official invitation to the Malfoy event of the year. "Your mother has outdone herself again, Dragon." She said the love shining through her tone. Draco looked over and rolled his eyes not understanding the fuss of an invitation.

Angel carefully opened the box thinking of the enchanted dove invitation of the year before

Angel carefully opened the box thinking of the enchanted dove invitation of the year before. Inside was a stunning black invitation with a ribbon and crystal wrap. The invitation said the crystal would be this years port key to the grounds. The stunning quill and notecard stock included was to give an immediate rsvp. Her amazement with her aunt never ceased.

She quickly pulled the monogrammed stock card from the box and used the fine quill to write her formal reply that her aunt had taught her.

I, Angelica Snape, do hereby gratefully accept your gracious invitation and will be in attendance.

Angelica Snape
Scion House of Prince

As she finished her reply the paper popped away and she was sure it would neatly stack itself on Narcissa's desk. She sighed and carefully put the box in her book bag. She pulled out her first piece of homework and didn't even think of how there was only 4,032 hours till break.