Chp: 3 Let's Play

Mark's POV

"Boys and girls, you can go wild once I blow the whistle but remember no cheating. If you are out, then you are out. I am watching you all, okay?"

We all nodded in agreement. As soon as the whistle blew, we all had gone mad. All had one goal, and that was to pick as many balls as we could.

The skinny nerds and delicate darlings who were too worried about getting hurt, stood far and waited for the balls to come to them. Then picked them and aimed at either side, but failed miserably.

Now coming to my girl, I mean my challenge- Ally. I thought she'll not get involved at all, but it seems that she likes dodge ball.

I guess, within fifteen minutes, most of the class was out. My team was left with two balls, me, Xavier and two girls who had just gotten there by luck and on the other hand, were Danny, my best friend, and Ally.

Danny hit two balls in one go, knocking out both the girls at once. They didn't care a bit and went back to bleachers. I don't usually accept, but Danny is quite a competitor. Rejoicing his victory, he turned towards the direction of the bleachers, flaunting his moves.

Xavier and I took that moment of distraction to our advantage. We tossed the ball from both the directions. Everyone mouthed an 'O.' Danny turned but got too late to realize. Before he could react, both the shots hit him.

"Danny, you are out." Mr. Scott explained, blowing his whistle.

"What!" he exclaimed, "I wasn't ready. That's so not done. They cheated!"

"From what I can see, it's a very fair game." He scoffed.

Giving us a (friendly) see-you-later-look, Danny turned.

"Now we have Ally left against Xavier and Mark," He explained.

I thought of a plan. I quickly whispered something in Xavier's ears. First, he frowned, but after getting a wink from me, a silent agreement was accepted.

I turned towards Ally; she was nervous. I gave her a cheery smile to cheer her. I am not sure she saw that because she just smiled, and I wasn't sure it was entirely directed at me, because any other girl in her place would have blushed tomato red.

She threw a ball towards our directions. I smoothly got that dodge, but Xavier was right behind me. And by the time he saw the ball, it was too late.

"Smart play. Xavier is out. The game is now between Ally and Mark." Mr. Scott announced. Some of the girls were throwing death glare daggers at her. Honestly, it was fun to watch.

Ally's POV

Well, that was luck, I thought to myself. But now it won't work. From what I saw, Mark is a pretty good player. I gulped.

Picking up the last ball on our side, I aimed at Mark. He easily dodged it. I knew it was game over. He picked up the ball I threw, and then looked towards me pointing. His fans- the whole class, except Mr. Scot began cheering.

I know I should have tried to escape his hit. But, I got blank, and I stood there, dumbfounded. I simply closed my eyes, accepting defeat. Dodge ball is fun, but this time...

I could feel the ball coming towards my direction, but it never made contact with me. I opened my eyes to comprehend the situation. I saw the ball bouncing from the wall behind and shooting towards his direction. He jumped, touching the shoulder before landing.

Mr.Scott blew the whistle, signaling the end of the game. Everyone rushed, but I stood there, freeze in my thoughts. We both knew he could easily win. He had hit many targets without even aiming hard, and in this case, I should have been a piece of cake, then why? Why did Mark lose on purpose?