Replacing sin with God's love

Why do we replace God's gift with sinful desires?

That was yet another big question that I started to ask myself, as I began to look back on my life and the actions I had done. All the wrong choices I had made, all the bad deeds I had done, all the terrible things I had said, the list kept growing the more I thought back. How was I going to get back to God's promises?

I wanted to have that wild imagination again, that imagination which wasn't affected by sin. The problem was that I had become so dull in my way of thinking now, that every good idea just kept leading me to bad decisions. I was constantly ending up at the same old place – which was heartache, disappointment, and being let down by others in my life. I wanted to change and I wanted to turn my life around, the only thing was I had no clue of where to begin, or even how to start that process. I had dwelled in these sins for so long, I was so unsure of what was right anymore – I was unsure what was wrong to do and why it was wrong to do it. So how do we replace sin with God's love then?

I believe how we start this process of change is by simply seeking the truth – that makes us want to act on what is right according to the will of God. Sounds like a simple act to do and is so simple of an act if we accept the truth first. Changing the way I thought and acted was going to be challenging. I believed if I just stayed a good person, I should be ok and nothing could ever go wrong then for
Myself, no matter how much of a good person I thought I was or would be, the sins in my life were always going to destroy that feeling. Being a good person just wasn't going to be good enough – the first step that I needed to take was, accepting that I had done bad things in my life. Then the second step I needed to take was – I may have done terrible things, but now I needed to leave them in the past in order to move forward, because my past didn’t control me. I truly felt that the only reason I dwelled in sinful ways for so long was not only because the devil tempts us, but also because I was afraid to let go of the hurt and bad past I had.

I struggled to accept good things in my life all because of this way of thinking – I started to realize that, every time I reminded myself of all the bad situations and hurt that had happened within my life, it never made me feel any good about myself. All that I would do was hide away in the end, I shut myself off to all my feelings and emotions, locking them away so no one can get to them. My big question over this was, if the past makes us feel so bad, why do we stay there in all that hurt?

To make it sound a bit simpler, why do we keep living in the past holding onto painful memories?

We can't fix the past.
We can't change the past.
So why do we hold onto the past?

No matter how hard I thought about that, I never found an answer to it – no one could give me a suitable answer to why I should stay in all the hurt of my past. There was no truth in holding onto those bad memories from the past. I had to learn to let go of my past. I had to learn to let go of all those bad deeds or wrong doings I committed, then choose to accept the truth of God’s love. If we are willing to accept that change, I believe we begin to hear the truth and then we see the truth – Jesus Christ said that the truth shall set us free.

John 8:31-36 NKJV
Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, " If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free." They answered Him, "We are Abraham's descendants, and have never been in bondage to anyone. How can You say, 'You will be made free'?" Jesus answered them, " Most assuredly, I say to you, whoever commits sin is a slave of sin. And a slave does not abide in the house forever, but a son abides forever. Therefore, if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.