Chapter 34

The sinking feeling in his stomach worsened when he stared at the door of Godt's studio apartment.  Because it was left slightly open, meaning either that Godt forgot to close it or that someone else had forced their way inside.  Based on what had happened at the café earlier in the day, Copter couldn't help but think that the latter explanation might be more plausible.       

"P'Godt?" Copter called from outside the door. 

Hearing no answer, Copter anxiously chewed on his lips.  Ever since those threatening men came by the shop to ask about Godt's whereabouts, his worry for the senior gnawed at him, more and more persistently with each passing second.  So, when even all his calls to Godt ended up in voicemail, Copter decided to make his way over to Godt's apartment as soon as he was done with his last work shift.  

Now that he was actually here, though, Copter momentarily hesitated.  Because maybe Godt just didn't want to answer his phone calls, maybe Godt just wasn't inside his studio right now, maybe Godt just didn't shut the door close.  Maybe he was making a big deal out of nothing and should just stay out of Godt's life.  But, regardless of all those possible maybes, Copter also knew that he wasn't going to get any sleep tonight unless he confirmed once and for all that Godt was okay.    

Finally making up his mind, Copter pushed the door all the way open and stepped inside.  He inhaled a sharp breath when he found that the entire apartment was a wreck.  Broken shards of glass and dry wall, overturned furniture and smashed appliances littered the wood floor.  And in the midst of all that chaotic destruction lay a completely motionless Godt, who was covering his eyes with the back of his hand.

"P'Godt!  Are you okay?!"   

Alarmed, Copter immediately moved towards Godt to get a closer look at him.  But he came to an abrupt stop when he heard Godt's words.  

"I told you that I wouldn't hold back if we met again," Godt murmured, his voice low and distant.  "I wasn't joking."  

Copter froze, fixed to his spot on the ground.  A tense silence descended over them until Godt eventually let out a weary sigh, seeming to realize that Copter had no intention of turning back.

"Copter, why are you here?"

Copter settled his worried gaze on Godt as he tried to detect any injuries.  "Some guys came by the shop earlier today asking where you were and..."

Godt suddenly sat upright and jerked his head towards Copter, who flinched in surprise.  "Did they hurt you?" he quickly asked, his enlarged eyes frantically searching over Copter's features.

"No, they didn't," Copter managed to say, but his voice cracked.  Because he got a full view of Godt's face, and it was very far from what he would consider okay.  

Godt's cheeks were covered in bruises, his left eye was swollen, his lip was split.  And it wasn't just his face.  Godt's entire body, or at least as much as Copter could see at the moment, looked like it was badly injured.  As if Godt had just been severely beaten up.