2: ON THE MEND

"Salamu alaikum." Binafa prayed as she walked into Jannah's bedroom.

It was a small bedroom just enough to occupy her little bed, wardrobe and a dressing mirror, an old wooden door of her bathroom beside it, her towel hung on it to air dry. Not a single furniture looked expensive but they were all sparkling clean. Sometimes people called Jannah, a hygiene freak, but she didn't mind really, clean places made her extremely happy and seeing things as tiny as a toothpick on her bedroom floor could simply piss her off.

Jannah didn't hear the salaam, her mind was completely pinned on the large sketch book in front of her on the floor as she easily and expertly moved her pencil on it.

Seeing that, Binafa repeated her salaam, this time louder. Jannah looked up quickly, her pencil flying away, when she saw Binafa, she let out a long shaky breath.

"Subhanallah! that was so rude. You really scared me Binafa." Jannah pouted, glaring at her.

Binfah rolled her eyes as she settled down on the carpet in front of her, legs tucked underneath, "Of course, you were completely gone in that world of yours. I made the salaam twice."

"Really?" Jannah puffed out some air, "Sorry, you know how absorbed i get when i do this. How are you, Hajiya and everyone?"

"All fine Alhamdulillah, they sent their regards."

"Eyyah, I will go in later to greet them in shaa Allah."

Binafa chuckled, "Ha'an! You that only go out to school, that too only to important lectures, then back to this lockup."

Jannah looked down and let out a breath, she was silent for a moment before she spoke, "You won't understand Binafa. I am still not myself, i just.. many things remind me of her, its just not easy at all."

"It's been four months Jannah, Yes, i know this is not easy, this has not been easy, but you have to at least try, worrying yourself too much can lead to emotional stress and emotional stress means anxiety. Remember these are your words, exactly what you used to tell Amatullah whenever she had a breakdown.

Now, what do you want your Abbiey to do? He only has you! You are always locked up in this room sketching away." Binafa looked at the sketch book sprawled between them, "Just look at this.. You were sketching Amatullah. You should really try and make some effort. Seeing you like this.. you blocking us out, make us all worried. We all love you and will always be here for you. I even told you to come and sleep some nights in our house but you refused."

Jannah looked up at the the rubber ceiling, and blinked for a few times, all in an effort to push back her tears, but a stubborn one managed to slip. When will these tears stop? They fell out like the river of Mississippi almost everyday but they never stopped.

"I'm trying, I really am, i hate seeing myself like this also. Wallah i know i have always been strong but this... I swear it is just beyond my strength. Granted, Amatu's death is really taking its toll on me but what distresses me more is the reason behind her death. From that devastating day, all i think of is the way to bring that monster to justice."

Binafa took her hands in hers, "Where are you going to start from Jannah? I don't have to tell you this, you know its going to be so hard. Had it been you know his full name or at least the place he stays, I would have gladly pepped you up to go and make sure justice is served. But what if he's not even from this state? I know this is tremendously hard for you but i want you to keep that resolve aside, nothing is hidden from Albasir, and remember there's the day of resurrection where the rights will be paid to those to whom they are due
so much so that Allah will redress even the grievance of the aggressed animals against the aggressors.