(22)The girl in the attic

Start from the beginning

The doctor and the orderly pushed the bed out of the elevator and rushed it into a room. I followed them closely but was stopped by a nurse before I could enter the room.  

"I'm afraid you can't go in there," she said with a sympathetic smile on her face.  

"But...," I argued trying to push passed her.  

"No but's young man, I know you must be worried about your friend but you are going to have to wait in the waiting room," she said stepping in front of me. I considered pushing her out of my way and running into the room but decided against it knowing that she was right, causing a scene would only make things worse.  

"Can I at least wait here?" I asked not wanting go too far away from her.  

"Of course, if you promise you won't cause any trouble," she answered stepping away from me. I shook my head in agreement as I took a few steps back and slouched down against the wall.

I sat there on the ground against the wall for what seemed like forever but I had no idea how long had really passed by the time the doctor finally came out of the room. He had a worried expression on his face causing my insides to spin as I jumped to my feet.  

"How is she?" I demanded walking towards him.  

"She is stable for now," the doctor answered.  

"What's wrong with her? Can I go in and see her?" I asked needing to know what was wrong with her and wanting to see that she was really ok with my own two eyes.  

"Calm down, you can't go in there yet and as for me telling you what is wrong with her, I can't do that. You're not family and I'm not allowed to give out personal information to anybody that isn't related to her," he stated and I could tell that he wasn't trying to be mean by the look on his face. He was just doing his job.  

"Please, can't you just tell me, I'm the only person she has," I begged hoping he would give in.  

"No but she will be awake soon, I suggest you ask her. Until then I need you to wait in the waiting room, I'll call you as soon as she wakes up," he said and gestured with his hands in the direction of the elevator.

I made my way to the waiting room trying to comfort myself in the fact that she was stable and that I will see her soon. Why wouldn't the doctor tell me what was wrong with her? Could Katie really be that sick that he couldn't tell me?

I grabbed a soda from one of the vending machines and sat down drinking it slowly while trying to calm my nerves. I didn't want to be all worked up when I got to see her, she needed me and freaking out wouldn't do her any good.

It was after eleven pm when the doctor finally came into the waiting room and told me that Katie was awake. They had moved her to another room so he led me to it and then left saying he would be back later to check on her.

I walked into the room and focused my attention on her small frame. She was lying so still that it looked like she was still asleep.  

"Katie," I whispered softly as I slowly walked over to her bed. I wanted nothing more than to pull her into my arms and to tell her that everything was going to be ok but I had the feeling that it wasn't going to be that simple.

Her eyes fluttered open and focused on me. She looked a bit better than she did when I found her in the barn but I could tell that she was far from ok.  

"Preston," she whispered as a small smile crossed her face but as soon as it appeared it disappeared again.  

"You shouldn't have brought me here," she whispered softly.  

"I didn't have a choice Katie. They can help you here, please just let them help you," I begged as I sat down on the edge of her bed. She shook her head in disagreement.  

"No they can't, nobody can help me and you need to stop trying," she said pushing herself up into a sitting position. A little moan escaped her mouth and I had to fight the urge to reach out to her and help her.  

"I can help you, we all can if you'll just tell me what's wrong," I pleaded feeling my heart braking inside my chest. Why wouldn't she just let me help her? I hadn't realized until now just how much Katie meant to me. I don't really know anything about her but she has stolen my heart completely.  

"No Preston, you've already done too much, there is nothing more you can do for me. I want you to leave. Leave and forget about me," she replied as a single tear ran down her face.  

"I won't leave you Katie," I argued shaking my head not believing her words.  

"I know you won't that's why I am asking you too, please Preston, just go and don't ever come back," she said turning her head away so that she didn't have to look at me.

I couldn't believe this was really happening, I couldn't believe that she really wanted me out of her life.  

"I'll leave for now but I can't promise you that I won't be back," I said stubbornly knowing that there was no way I could ever leave her even if she wanted me to.  

"Please," she begged and I could hear that she was battling not to cry.  

"For now," I replied stepping out of her room and closing the door behind me.