(31) The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter 31

Preston’s POV

The ambulance arrived within a few minutes but according to me they took way to long. With each moment that passed I could see her slipping further away from me. The paramedics lifted her onto a stretcher and loaded her into the ambulance. I got it with her and held her hand while one of them started taking her vitals.

The drive to the hospital felt like it took forever. Luckily Dr. Kremer was at the hospital so as soon as he heard that Katie was there he came rushing to help. He shouted some orders and then rolled her into a room where I wasn’t allowed. I had to wait outside in the hallway one again. After about twenty minutes or so Dr. Kremer came out and walked over to me.

The expression on his face was unreadable so I had no idea what to expect.

“How is she?” I asked getting up from the floor where I was sitting. My body felt numb except for my heart that was nervously pounding away in my chest.

“She’s stable, she had an allergic reaction to one of the pills I prescribed. I want to keep her overnight to run some more tests before we start her treatment on Monday,” Dr. Kremer answered smiling sadly.

“But she’s going to be ok, right?” I asked needing him to confirm it.

“Yes, she’s going to be fine,” he replied sounding more positive now.

“Can I go see her?” I asked eager to feel her hand in mine and see that she really was ok for myself.

“They are going to move her to another room in a few minutes, as soon as she is settled in you can go see her,” he answered before leaving.

I waited outside the door until two nurses came out and started pushing Katie down the hall. I followed them to her room and waited by the door until they gave up and told me that I could come in. Katie was asleep but I have to admit that she looked much better. She had some color back and her breathing sounded more even. They had changed her into a hospital gown and she had an IV injected into her arm.

I sat down on the chair next to her bed and took her hand in mine feeling a bit better now that I knew she was going to be ok. I felt tired but there was no way I could sleep so I just sat there watching her until she woke up a few hours later.

She looked a bit disorientated but then her eyes focused on me and a sad expression crossed her face.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered as tears started to form in her eyes.

“For what?” I asked confused and concerned.

“I ruined it, I always ruin everything,” she answered as she started to sob.

“You didn’t ruin anything, it was the best night of my life,” I said getting up from the chair and sitting down on the bed next to her feeling the need to comfort her. I squeezed her hand and then used my free hand to wipe away her tears. She smiled at me for a second and then closed her eyes falling asleep again.

I was worried about her falling asleep so soon after just waking up but one of the nurses assured me that it was normal. Her body was still recovering from the reaction she had to the drugs and she was on some heavy pain medication.