(8)The girl in the attic

The girl in the attic

Chapter 8

Preston's POV

I headed for the kitchen to get her some more soup or whatever I could find when I ran into Lina.  

"Hello Preston," she said in a strained voice with a worried expression on her face.  

"Hi Lina," I replied, looking at her and confirming my suspicion that she is definitely the woman in the photo.  

"Did you find the intruder last night?" She questioned. I'm sure she knew it was Katie I was following and I knew Katie wouldn't want her to know that I found her so I lied.  

"No, I searched the whole barn but I didn't find anybody or anything, maybe I'm just imagining things," I told her and I could tell by the expression of relief on her face that she believed me.

I've always been a good liar, I could make up the stupidest stories and my parents and teachers always believed me. And then of course there is Sarah, she actually believes that I am in love with her, like I said I'm a really good liar.  

"Can I get you some breakfast?" Lina offered and I accepted grateful that I wouldn't have to make something myself. I sat at the kitchen table while Lina made the food. When she was done I told her that I was going to eat upstairs in my room and started making my way up the stairs.

Katie's POV

I knew I would have to be quick if I was to get away before he returned. He's been really nice to me but there was no way I could stay here and risk being caught. I got up from his warm bed with a sigh and walked over to the window. My leg was feeling a bit better since he gave me the medicine and I was sure that I could make it far enough so that he couldn't find me. I know he is only trying to help me but by helping me he is putting Mikey's future in danger. He is much more important than me, maybe Mikey can have a happy normal life one day. That isn't an option for me so why even try to postpone the inevitable.

The window is old and it took all my strength to push it open. The cold morning air hit me like a slap in the face and a shiver ran through my body. I considered grabbing one of his jackets and putting it on before I left but decided against it. I climbed out of the window and made my way down without any difficulty, I'm used to climbing and running, I've been doing it all my life. The sun was shining in the sky but didn't help much against the freezing cold of the wind. I took one last look at the house and then started running towards the woods.

Preston's POV

Lina had made bacon, eggs and toast with freshly squeezed orange juice. My stomach rumbled from the smell but I didn't dare sneak a bite, this food was for Katie, she needed it much more than I did. I pushed open my bedroom door and almost let the plate and glass fall when I saw she wasn't in my bed. My first reaction was to call her name but I stopped myself just in time. I entered my room and placed the food on my bedside table before closing the door and locking it again. I checked my bathroom but doubted that she would be in there since the door was open. Once I confirmed that she wasn't in the bathroom I ran over to my open window and looked outside but there was no sign of her anywhere.

I shook my head in frustration and fell down on my bed. Where could she have gone? I doubt that she would go back to the attic or the barn, she knows that I will look for her there. I sat up and grabbed the plate of food figuring I might as well eat it since Katie has managed to disappear once again. When I  finished eating I grabbed my flashlight, my cell phone and a bottle of water before I left the house and started searching for her. It was still early morning but who knew how long it would take to find her.

I know she doesn't want to be found but I don't think she understands the seriousness of her injury. She might feel better now because of the medicine I gave her earlier but it is going to work out in a few hours and then she is going to be in some serious pain not to mention her fever.