Chapter 9

"Hey, Taylor, right?"

I turned quickly at the sound of the gravely voice calling my name. My eyes rested on a teen boy, perhaps a grade older than me. He had rough, spiked sand blonde hair with redish tips, and his chin was thick and sturdy. He had a playful expression, with big eyes that sparkled with excitement. A large grin played at his lips, and he had his hands behind his head like some kind of manga play boy. He wore a red long sleeved shirt and dark blue ripped jeans. When he saw that he had caught my attention, he started walking towards me, his grin wider.

"I got your name right!" he laughed as he strode down the hall.

I blinked in surprise, shuffling awkwardly as I closed my locker door. "Uh, yeah.."

He laughed at my wariness, not seeming to care that I was nervous. "I'm Jay, if you didn't already know. I sit across from you in Art, and we have the same homeroom."

"Oh, okay," I said, shrugging my shoulders the best I could without loosing my crutches. "I.. didn't expect you to come start talking to me. No one does that to me.."

He raised an eyebrow. "Seriously? That's mean. I thought you had friends?"

I nodded firmly, correcting my mistake. "I do! I knew them before I started coming here, though."

"Oh, so do you know their friends from outside of school, too?" he asked, leaning down and getting a little too close to my face.

I jumped and backed away. "U-Uh, y-yes, I do..."

He beamed. "Cool. Those guys talk about them a lot. I kinda wanna meet them, too!"

I chuckled nervously. "M-Maybe sometime.."

"You sure are a nervous wreck," he laughed, patting me on the back. "You're fun to hang out with, though."

I blushed in embarrassment. "R-Really? I haven't done much in the past two minutes I've known you.."

"Hey, there's some sass!" he shouted cheerfully. He started walking with me as I began to leave the school. "Nah, I just know a good friend when I see one."

I froze, looking at him with shock. "You.. want to be friends.. with me?!"

He patted my head playfully with another laugh. "You bet! Is that so hard to believe?"

I watched him in disbelief as he started talking as we walked down the halls. It was like he had been friends with me for years already! He certainly wasn't going to take no as an answer, but it's not like I was going to say that to him. I was happy that someone actually wanted to be my friend, came up to me first. I smiled sheepishly as we reached the door. I fumbled with my bag before turning to him.

"Hey, thanks for talking to me," I said kindly, twitching my crutches. "I have to go now, though. Me and my friend are going on a drive today."

He looked at me with a blank expression for a moment, before his face lit up. "OOH, is it with those friends of your friends?"

"Y-Yes," I answered nervously, blushing and glancing back and forth.

He smiled wider and straightened my crutches for me as he spoke. "That's so cool! Can I come? I really want to meet these guys!"

I blinked and fiddled my toes in my cast in nervousness. "I don't think today would be a good idea..," I told him with a shaky voice. "We're.. kind of going alone today.. just me and my friend."

It kinda hurts to just call him a "friend".

His face was blank again for a moment. "Oh, okay. Maybe next time, then?" Then he grinned mischievously as he stood straight again. "Ooooh, is it a date?"

I nearly jumped out of my cast and crutches, my face exploding with heat. "NO NO NO, that's not it at all!!!" I sputtered, shaking my head like crazy and squeezing my eyes shut. "It's just a drive, nothing special, nothing like that at all, why would you even say that?!"

He laughed like crazy, doubling over and holding his stomach in hysteria. "Oh my gosh, you totally are head over heals for whoever this guy is!!" he laughed, wiping tears from his eyes. "Man, don't get so worked up. Why don't you tell him how you feel?"

I shook my head like an insane woman. "No, no, no, it's not like that, and why would I even say that kind of thing?"

He chucked amusedly. "Alright, alright, I'll leave you to it." He turned around dramatically, glancing back with a teasing smirk. "Seriously, though, you should admit how you feel."

"Absolutely not!" I shouted back at him, pouting as my face turned another shade of red. 

He laughed maniacally as he ran off like someone was chasing after him. "You admitted you like him! You did, you did!" he shouted mischievously as he sped away.

I sighed, flabbergasted, and turned as quickly as I could with my crutches. Shrugging my shoulders to position my backpack more comfortably, I went forward and slowly limped down the stairs. I smiled wide when I saw that Jack, Miko, and Raf were already there, all waiting for their rides as well. The punk girl waved her hands enthusiastically when she saw me approaching. Raf stood up and rushed over, offering help by taking my bag. 

"What took you so long?" Miko said, plopping on a lower step and taking out her sketch pad. 

I shrugged my shoulders and remained standing. It would be too much trouble to sit down and then have to get back up again. "Someone wanted to talk to me," I said with a tiny smile. Despite his overexcited attitude, he was actually really nice.

"Good, so you're making new friends?" Jack asked. He really was like a big brother.

I smiled in embarrassment and looked at my feet. "Yeah, he spoke first, though. He seemed really excited to talk to me."

Miko mock pouted, shooting upwards and hugging me tight. "But we're still you're best friends, right?"

"Right," I giggled, patting her back. I heard a beep and looked up to see Ratchet pulling up, and my insides flipped over. The word date kept ringing in my head.

Stupid Jay got it stuck in my brain.

Miko cocked an eyebrow when she didn't see her ride with him. "What's Docbot doing here so early?"

"Not that he doesn't want to pick you up," Raf added, shooting a look at the girl.

My face once again blushed as I took the crutches down the rest of the stairs and took my bag from the smaller boy. "Um.. well, we're kinda going for a drive now. Just the two of us. You know, to relax," I added so I wouldn't get the same treatment Jay had given me.

The three kids blinked in surprise, before their mouths all turned up into smiles. "Well, have fun," Jack told me, waving as I limped away.

"Where you gonna go?" Miko asked.

I turned my head, grinning so happily it felt like I was radiating light. "We don't need to know." I shrugged my shoulder and hurried away.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm about to go see Endgame!!!! I'm so excited!!!! I can't wait!!!!

See you later, peeps? 

(Also, how do you like my new character?)

*waves*