Chapter 5

My mind was boggling and my heart was pounding wildly. Not only out of anticipation for the mission, but for the idea that had just sprung into my head. It was foolishly dangerous, and I knew that. Yet, at the same time, the urge to do it was so strong, so powerful. I felt compelled to help them, do what I could to get this done. This seemed like the least I could do. Plus, I would just be the last resort back up. There was no way I could tell Ratchet, though. For one thing, he was already at the SpaceBridge, awaiting Jack and Arcee's arrival. For another, if I did tell him, there was absolutely no way he would consent to it. None of the others, except probably Miko, would allow me to either. And Miko would probably just tag along, so I couldn't tell her either. So that meant I had to keep the plan to myself.

Am I really going to do this?

I took a deep breath through my nose, doing the best I could to convince myself that it would be fine. At the same time, I felt completely foolish, and a lot like Miko. Much too daring. But what if they needed me? I exhaled, finally deciding to go through with it.

I could vaguely make out the conversation between Jack, who was suited up and ready, and the others, who were bidding him a brief farewell. I was hiding under the GroundBridge, awaiting my moment. My heart beat wilder and wilder, scared that I would get caught. (And also how Ratchet would react when he found out. Which wouldn't be long, if all went as I'd hoped.) I heard Jack begin to head through the GroundBridge.

Alright. Let's do this.

Taking another deep breath, I tensed my body, bending my legs. Hardening my gaze to focus, I leapt up, using my arm to grab onto the edge of the GroundBridge walkway and propel myself up. I landed on one knee, my other leg extended out, my foot holding me up. I used my other arm to push myself up again. I heard cries of surprise from behind me, and glanced only once at everyone's shocked faces. On instinct, I smiled apologetically as I turned my head sharply. I spilt second, I was racing down the walkway, my feet clanging against the metal. As I sped into the swirling mass of color, I felt my stomach do a complete somersault, but I set forward in determination.

I'm going to be here for this. I'm going to be with Ratchet.

Part of it was because I wanted to make sure everyone made it back safely, unharmed. Deep inside, however, I knew it was more than that. I knew that my feelings were Ratchet were also in play. I wanted to be with him always, and that desire was growing. Just as I started to get dizzy from the portal, I teetered into my destination. My vision swam and I doubled over, breathing heavily.

Jack turned sharply, surprised. "Wait, Taylor?! What are you doing here?" he cried.

The Autobots, just ahead of him, turned their helms to me, each of their expressions the same one of shock. I looked up, still panting, and waved nervously. Great, my cover had been blown straight away.

"I thought for sure you were Miko!" Jack exclaimed, putting his hands on my shoulders.

"T-Taylor?!" my guardian finally sputtered, taking a step towards me and the teen boy. "What in the name of the AllSpark are you doing here?!"

I took a few more much needed gasps before I stood straight, smiling awkwardly. "Uh... hey, guys."

Seriously? That was the best I could come up with?

Ratchet immediately rushed forward, causing Jack to quickly move out of the way. The medic bent over on one knee plate, his servos extended. His faceplate was exasperated and worried. "Taylor, this is a dangerous mission, not a game!" he scolded. "What are you thinking?"

I understood his worry; so far I had been a lot, and they hadn't been good things. I had been nearly killed several times, and had been kidnapped and tortured. Before that, I had lost the only family I had ever known as a girl. Now I had a new family, one that was always putting themselves in danger. One that I did not dare lose, because I was too afraid to be alone. Cowardly, lonely, and selfish, but I didn't care. It had only been a short while, but they meant so much to me. He meant too much to me.