Chapter 23: Better

Start from the beginning

"Look Erica I personally think that they will be quiet for at least a few more days. Their mission was to destroy you. Now that that's supposedly done, they will slowly try to figure out their next step. As I said, Catherine and Cyrus are keeping an eye on them. This is basically no different than when we got activated on missions in school. If you want to look for information, fine, but at least don't lose your sense of reality."

There was silence between us, but then Erica spoke: "Fine." She shut down the computer and stood up.

"What do you want me to do then?" Erica asked as she walked to the couch and laid down.

"Well, you could just rest." I offered.

"Oh, no! Ben, I'm bored out of my mind. I have been only resting since the explosion." She sat up to look at me.

"Ok, then we could talk. What new information did you find?" I went to pick up the plate that was left next to the computer.

"Absolutely nothing. I hacked the CIA's database, but the only new information there is about my death or the building that blew up."

"Did you just look at the CIA's database or did you also hack something else?" I asked.

"Of course I did! Who do you think I am? An amateur?" She gave me a hard stare.

"No. That's not what I was trying to say. Let me rephrase that. Where else did you look?"

"Everywhere that you could imagine. I looked at all of the cameras around the building, but because it is in the middle of nowhere, that didn't help at all. I even looked at the database for the Washington police department, but that was pointless because all of that information is already known to the CIA." She laid down again. "I'm just annoyed that right now, the only thing that I can do is sit and wait. It really isn't fun being dead."

"Well, it was your idea." I pointed out.

"Thank you for saying that. I feel better already."

There was silence between us again. It really is annoying that there is nothing we can do to stop SPYDER, but we have to be patient. We don't really have a choice.

"Want some wine?" I offered.

"What is it with you and wine?" Erica sat up again.

"What? Do you have a problem with my preference of beverages?" I went to my small collection of wine. "So, do you want some?"

"Yeah, that would be nice." I picked out a bottle and went to open it. While I was doing that, Erica got up and went to get the wine glasses. "I might as well help you." She said.

"Well, how thoughtful of you." As I said that, she gave me a smile and went back with the glasses in hand. "Oh, I almost forgot that I bought some snacks to go with the wine."

I walked to the fridge and prepared what I bought at the store. Sometimes I like to spoil myself, so I tend to buy some fancy food now and again. Since I knew that we would need to wait until something happens, I bought some for me and Erica to try.

"Here you go." I placed the snacks on the coffee table and poured some wine for both of us. "So, what would you like to talk about?"

XXXXXXXXXXXXX

"So, let me get this straight. You want to tell me, that once you had a mission where you had to find out who kidnapped the president's dog, but later it turned out that the dog was just hiding under one of the guest room beds." I asked in disbelief.

"Yes. I'm not making this up." Erica answered and took a sip of wine.

"Why did they give you the job? Wouldn't the staff be able to find him?"