Chapter eleven

Chapter eleven

By the time I had got home it was three in the afternoon. I had spent three hours at Theo’s looking at his mom and dad’s wedding pictures and flipping through the old pictures with Theo. And I must say, Theo is still as cute as he was back then. Sadly, I had to say my goodbye’s as I wanted to get home before David and my dad got home. As I unlocked the door and walked into the hall I almost screamed. I didn’t expect anyone to be home, especially David.

        “Oh, hi Aurora. Did I happen to scare you?” He asked as he got up and walked up to me. David wasn’t in his suit that he had worn to work this morning. Now he was in casual clothing.

        “Yeah, I just didn’t think you would be home so early. I’m sorry I made you wait. I was just at Theo’s.” I said.

        “Oh, Theo.” He said with a suppressed smile.

        “Don’t tell me dad told you about it.” I said in disbelief.

        “He may or may not have told me about a crush on a cake smashing boy.” Never once while saying that sentence did David make eye contact with me. I blushed feverishly.

        “Hey, why don’t we head down to the place? I can’t wait to see your face when you see it.” He said as he offered his arm to me. I gladly took it and the two of us were of this is mystery place.

*

        Oh god no. David did not bring me here. Oh no. I was panicking as he pulled into a parking space in front of the roller skating rink. I looked at the building and knew my nightmares were going to come true. Let me just clear up something. As a kid I was never coordinated and as a teenager, I’m still not coordinated. I remember while Sammie and the rest of the kids in the neighborhood were out with their scooters and rollerblades, I would sit inside with my brain, a pen and some paper. I mean I was perfectly happy. It’s just that I feared if I had to limbo with roller skates on or do anything with them on, I would fall on my ass. Luckily, I had past those years without having to do it, but now there was no backing out.

        David and I walked up to the entrance of the rink and he opened the door for me. Flashing him a nervous smile, I walked into the rink. In the middle was a wooden floor with people varying in age rollerskating. Couples held hands and pushed off with their wheeled shoes as little children did tricks that looked far too dangerous. David’s hands were on my back, a sign for me to continue on. I dodged my way through rollerskating kids and made my way to the counter. A teenage girl smiled at me, but then her eyes went wide. 

“No way.” She said looking at me. I turned around to make sure she was taking, and then pointed a finger to myself. 

“Yes, you! You’re Aurora Sitters! I’ve read your book and its to die for. I’ve read it so many times I can tell you which dialogue is on which page. Oh, god that sounds awfully creepy. I promise I’m not creepy. I just really love your books. I’m probably rambling now so I’m going to stop. What is your size?” She said taking a breather at the end. Her eyes had a sparkle in them, the same sparkle whenever I had people talk to me about my book and it really made me feel out of the world. Her rambling almost made me forget my stress of rollerblading, until she asked that question. 

“Um, size 8, please.” I say giving her a nervous look. She nods and turns to David. 

“Size 10.” The girl turns and goes into the back to find our sizes. I lean against the counter trying not to make much eye contact with David, but just as my eyes were wondering they ended up making eye contact with David. He had a board smile on his face.