Chapter nine

Chapter nine

            Why was I feeling so jittery? This wasn’t a date, was it? It doesn’t matter because Theo and I are friends. Nothing more. But how come I always had those stupid cliché butterflies around him? You know what, I should just swallow them. I am on a mission to find out what love is, not whether my childhood crush looks cute in a collared shirt. This entire conversation was playing inside my head while I stood in front of my bathroom mirror getting ready for the double date with Sammie and Josh. My phone buzzed, signaling a text, most likely from Theo. Ignoring it, I grabbed my bag and placed my sacred journal inside it along with my wallet and phone.

            “Dad? Hey, Dad!” I yelled as I walked down the stairs.

            “In the kitchen!” He yelled in response. Curious as to why my Dad was in the kitchen, as he isn’t the greatest chef in the world, I wandered in there to find my Dad with an apron on looking over a pot. He turned around when he heard me come in.

            “Are you cooking?” I asked with a sly smile. He rolled his eyes in return.

            “Yes, and don’t give me that look. I can cook, it’s just I have to take a few safety precautions before it.” I laughed and grabbed my purse of the counter.

            “I’m heading out to the movies with Theo and Sammie.”

            “Well, I was hoping you would stay for dinner. I need to tell you something.” He said in a rather nervous tone.

            “Oh, but Dad, I promised Sammie and Theo’s on the way. Can it wait?” He sighed knowing there was no point in arguing. I pulled my Dad into a hug and just as we pulled apart the doorbell rang.

            “Bye Dad! I’ll see you soon and you can tell me whatever it was you wanted to tell me!” I say as I walk out the door. Once I closed the door and turned around, I found myself two inches away from Theo. A smile graced his face as I was trapped by his blue eyes once again. I could feel his minty breath against my skin, causing goose bumps to form.

            “Ready to go?” He asked in a whisper. I simple nodded my head; nothing much was processing other than Theo’s eyes would be the death of me. He really did look good in a collared shirt. He gently took my arm and led me to his car and like a gentleman he opened the car door for me. Blushing, I got in as he closed the door behind me and jogged to the driver’s side and got in. I was still in a daze as Theo backed out of my driveway and onto the street.

            “Rory? You okay?” I looked up, giving Theo a sharp look.

            “Hey, I only called you that name to get your attention. So what movie are we seeing tonight?”

            “I don’t know. Doesn’t matter, I’m not here for the movie.” I said shrugging my shoulders. Theo gave me a quick offended look before returning to the street.

            “I wanted to buy the large bucket of popcorn, but now I can’t do it without looking like an idiot if we’re not going to watch a movie and eat it as well.” I laughed and shook my head.

            “You can still buy it; I would happily join you in eating it.” Theo smiled as he pulled into the parking lot of the theatre. Theo’s phone rang next to him. He quickly glanced over and saw it was Sammie calling and motioned me to pick it up.

            “Hello?” I said as I answered the phone.

            “Aurora?” replied Sammie in a surprised tone.