XX

Evie

"Hey, babe, how are you doing?" I asked as I walked in the door and set my backpack on my desk chair. I walked over to her bedside to sit down next to her. She was sitting on top of the bed, scribbling in her sketchbook with colored pencils.

"I'm doing much better," Mal said without looking up. I smiled in adoration at her. She was so focused on her work.

"What are you working on?" I asked, trying to peek at her sketchbook. She quickly hugged it to her chest, blank side up.

"Nothing," she exclaimed quickly. "I mean, it's not good. You don't want to see it."

"C'mon," I pleaded, "everything you draw is amazing." I reached for her sketchbook, and she tore it away from me.

"Evie, I don't want you to see it," she exclaimed.

I held my hands up in surrender. "Okay, okay." Mal closed her sketchbook and shoved it in her bedside table drawer. She gathered up her colored pencils and threw them in the box.

"How is my dress coming?" she asked as she finished cleaning up.

I beamed at her, excitement filling my heart. Cotillion was in two days, and I couldn't wait. This was Mal and I's chance to tell the world about us. We were finally going to get to be a couple together, in public. We could finally be us without any judgement.

"It's almost done," I said. "I'm really excited about it. It's going to look amazing. And my dress is going to the compliment the colors on yours so well. They almost match. Except mine has red accents."

"Of course," Mal laughed. "I'm guessing yours is blue?"

"You'll see," I giggled. "And you have to wait to see yours until Cotillion night."

She sighed and rolled her eyes. "I want to see it now!" she complained.

"Too bad," I laughed, kissing her on the cheek. "I'll give it to you before Cotillion on Saturday."

She smiled and leaned forward, pressing her lips against mine. My heart smiled when she did that. She pulled away and gave me a half smile. "You drive me crazy sometimes," she said.

"Thats why you love me," I laughed.

"I do," she agreed. Suddenly, her eyes darted to the clock on her bedside table. "Oh, I have to go," she said. "I have a nail appointment. Can you at least tell me the colors of my dress so I can match it?"

I groaned. "Fine. Get blue nails. And I want to come with you."

"Come with me then," she said, dragging me along as she stood up. "You can get your nails done too."

"Yay!" I exclaimed, following her out the door.

Mal

I came home from my hair appointment on Saturday to find a garment bag hanging from the closet. It was labeled "Mal". I squealed in excitement and grabbed the garment bag off the door. I draped it over my arms and headed into the closet to find accessories.

I was careful to avoid messing up my perfectly shaped curls as I fixed a small golden tiara on my head. I smoothed down my bangs and admired my outfit in the mirror. The dress was perfect. Evie's fashion taste was impeccable and incomparable. The sleeveless yellow dress fell perfectly around me. I admired the blue ribbon fashioned around my waist and the matching blue lace accents that covered the dress. I slipped on a pair of matching blue gloves that Evie had left for me. I added a gold ring that Evie had given me a while ago. I noticed Evie's gold bracelet, the one with her name on it, sitting on top of her jewelry box. I picked it up and clipped it on over the glove on my left hand. It matched the rest of my outfit. I finally placed a gold and blue fashion necklace on my neck to finish off the look.

I smiled at myself in the mirror. Evie was going to love it. I adjusted my curls over my shoulders and fixed the top of the dress so it fit better on me. I put on a little bit of mascara, a little bit of blush, a little bit of lip gloss. Just enough to make Evie notice. I smiled again the mirror. I hoped she'd like it. I took a deep breath and made my way to the ballroom for Cotillion.

"Miss Moors," a man said as I neared the stairwell to the ballroom. "Nice to see you again."

"Thank you," I said. I never knew the man's name, but I knew he worked for Ben's family.

"I can announce you," he said.

"Not yet," I replied. "I'm waiting on someone."

Evie

I smoothed down my one-strap blue dress and took a deep breath. I had pinned my hair back with a red and gold jeweled headband. I adjusted my red gloves and my red choker. Nothing felt right. I wanted it to be perfect for Mal, but I couldn't help but be self-conscious.

As I neared the ballroom entrance, I was swarmed by paparazzi. "Evie! Evie! Evie Grimhilde!" they called. One of them finally reached me. "Who are you wearing?" she asked excitedly.

"I am wearing an original design, actually," I beamed. "I designed a lot of the girls' Cotillion dresses."

"Well, it is beautiful," she complimented.

"So, is it true that you have a special someone?" another one asked.

"Yes," I replied, smiling.

"How are you and Doug doing?" another chimed in.

"I'm actually not dating Doug," I corrected. "I'm dating Mal Moors."

"King Ben's girlfriend?" they gasped.

"Ben and Mal have been broken up a while," I snapped. "No further questions." I pushed past them and made my way towards the ballroom.

Mal

I finally saw Evie walking towards me in the most beautiful blue gown I'd ever seen. My jaw dropped to the floor and my eyes widened. I was speechless. "Y-you look amazing," I stuttered.

"So do you," she smiled, happy tears filling her eyes. She blinked them away and took my hand in hers. "C'mon." She led me to the top of the staircase.

"Miss Mal Moors and Miss Evie Grimhilde," the man announced. We slowly made our way down the staircase, hand in hand.

"Wow," I gasped. "A month ago, I would not have even imagined coming to Cotillion with you on my arm as my date. I mean, are you okay with us being out together, in public? Are you okay with everyone knowing?"

She took my other hand in hers and faced me. "Of course I'm okay with it. I've been waiting for this. I even told the press that we were dating," she smiled. "Forget everyone else. I just want to be with you."

"You really did that?" I asked, grinning from ear to ear.

"I did," she laughed.

"I am so, so proud of you," I admired. This time, it was my turn to cry happy tears.

Evie pulled me out onto the dance floor. "Let's dance," she said. I wrapped my arms around her neck, and she placed her hands on my waist. We swayed back and forth to the music.

"Everyone is staring," I whispered.

"Forget them," Evie smiled. "Just be with me, in this moment."

Jane slowly approached us. We parted so we could talk to her. "I-I just wanted to say..." she hesitated. "You guys look amazing. And you two are so cute together." I smiled widely. Evie giggled at me.

"Thanks," I replied. Jane nodded and headed off. I turned back to Evie, and we started dancing again. The look in her eyes was one I'd never seen before. It was more than happiness. It was something more than pure joy, something so happy it was indescribable. "Evie Grimhilde," I stated, "I love you. To the moon and back. For all of eternity."

She laughed and pulled me closer to her. "Mal Moors, I love you so freaking much." I laughed. She leaned in and pressed her lips against mine. I leaned into the kiss, hugging her tighter. When we finally parted, my heart was filled with happiness from that kiss. Nothing could be more perfect than this moment, this happy ending.

...or is it?