XI

Mal

Things were icy between Evie and I for a while. What should I have expected though? It was my fault that everything was awkward. If I had just told her yes in the first place, then we could already be together. What was stopping me?

My phone buzzed on the desk next to me. I picked it up to see a text from Ben. Oh, right. That's what was stopping me. I didn't know why, though. It was simple in my mind. Just break up with him, and start dating Evie. But something was holding me back. And I know something was holding Evie back as well. We haven't talked about it since our conversation last week.

I opened my text from Ben. Hey, want to hang out today? I smiled and texted back, Sure, what time? I turned back to my sketchbook and picked up a dark blue colored pencil to color in the hair on the girl I'd drawn.

How about 5? Ben asked. I thought for a second, and texted back, Okay. See you then.

I picked up a bright red colored pencil and sketched in a red heart purse on the girl. Yes, I know. The girl strongly resembled Evie. In fact, most of my drawings recently had something to do with Evie. I couldn't get her off of my mind. I know, I'm probably insane. I'm just so confused right now.

The door opened without warning. I quickly shut my sketchbook. My eyes snapped up to the door. It was Evie walking in. "Hey, Mal," she said nonchalantly.

"Hi, Evie," I replied, my eyes still wide. "Sorry, you scared me."

"Sorry," Evie apologized. "Have you seen my red heart purse?"

"E, you always leave it on the hook next to the door," I said.

"Oh, right," she said. "Sorry, I'm such an airhead sometimes."

"You are not," I smiled. "You are so smart. You have proved that over and over again."

Evie smiled at the ground. Pink tinted her cheeks, and it wasn't her blush. "Thanks," she smiled. I gave her a half smile back.

"Where are you going?" I asked.

"Out," she replied vaguely.

"Out where?" I pushed.

"Just out, Mal," she sighed. "I don't have to tell you where I'm going every time."

"Okay, okay." I put my hands up in surrender. Then I changed my mind. "Are you going to see Doug?"

Evie laughed as she grabbed her heart purse and slung it over her shoulder. "Bye, Mal," she waved goodbye as she walked out the door without answering my question. I pouted my lips and crossed my arms, turning to stare out the window.

Evie

I shut the door quietly and walked down the hall as fast as I could. If Mal knew I was going to see Doug, she would freak out. But if she didn't want to be me, then I was going to be with someone who did want to be with me.

Yes, Doug and I have our issues. We're not perfect. But so do Mal and I. And at least Doug actually wants to be with me. Or, at least, I thought he did.

"Hey, Doug," I said when I found him in the quad.

"You're late," he scowled, crossing his arms. "Where were you?"

"Chill out," I said, checking my phone. "I was only ten minutes late."

"Were you with Mal?" he asked accusingly.

"What are you asking me?" I countered, crossing my arms to match him.

"Ten minutes is quite enough time to..." he started, but then hesitated before finishing his sentence.

"Yeah, don't even finish that sentence," I snapped. "You know I wouldn't."

"Do I?" Doug asked.

"Excuse me?" I said, taken aback. "What has gotten into you? You're not usually a jealous type."

"I don't usually have someone to be jealous of," he argued. "I'm tired of coming in second next to Mal."

"Doug, I wouldn't be with you if you were second choice," I said.

"You would be if your first choice didn't want you," he mumbled.

"Doug..." I sighed. "It's complicated with Mal. But I'm with you. Isn't that enough?"

"Not if you want to be with someone else," he said.

"But Doug-"

"No," he cut me off. "Just let me know when you figure it out." He turned around and left me standing there, wishing I could be anywhere but here.

~

The librarian smiled at me when I walked into the library. "Welcome back, Evie," she said.

"Thank you," I said. I dropped off Great Expectations (thankfully) and headed to the classic literature section. I scanned the shelves, looking for a good book to read. I wanted something fun after reading the long and agonizing story of Great Expectations. Finally, my eyes landed on 1984 by George Orwell. I had heard about that book, so I picked it up. I carried it to the desk to check it out.

"1984?" the librarian asked. "Good choice."

"Thanks," I smiled. I picked up the book and left the library.

As I was walking back to the dorm, I spotted Ben and Mal across the quad. They looked like they were fighting. I tucked the book in my bag and walked closer so I could hear.

"I don't want you hanging around her so much," Ben yelled.

"She's my best friend!" Mal hissed. "You just expect me to cut her off?"

"How am I supposed to know that nothing is going to happen?" he asked.

"You don't trust me?" she countered.

"I trust you; I don't trust her," he snapped.

"Why do we have to prove ourselves over and over again, Ben?" Mal argued. "It's like you still think that we're villians' kids on the Isle."

"That's not true..." Ben stuttered.

"Then give me one good reason that you can't trust Evie," Mal said.

"I... I..." he hesitated.

"Exactly." Mal threw her hands in the air. "None of us, especially Evie, have ever given you a reason not to trust us. And now you're suddenly saying that you can't trust her? Because of a suspicion that you heard from Doug? I can't believe you."

"But, Mal-" he started.

"No," she stopped him. "This is insane. I can't be around you right now." She turned and walked away. I quickly hid behind the bushes, away from her. I lowered my head. What was that? Ben and Mal almost never fight. And about me? That was really weird. I didn't really know how to wrap my head around it. Did Doug tell Ben that Mal was cheating on him or something? That wasn't like Doug. But frankly, nothing was normal lately. This entire situation has been extremely crazy. More than I ever imagined.