VI

Evie

"M, have you seen my heart purse?" I asked, poking my head out of my closet. "I can't find it anywhere."

"Have you tried looking on the hook?" she asked, her eyes drifting off to the hook on the wall that held our jacket and bags. I followed where her eyes were looking, and -- of course -- the bag was laying there right on top of Mal's purple leather jacket.

"Thank you," I said, running over to grab the purse. I slung it over my shoulder and gazed at the ensemble in the mirror. "What do you think?" I asked. "Does it need anything?"

Mal looked up from her sketchbook to admire my outfit. I was wearing my shredded tee with a blue leather skirt and heeled booties. I had on my red leather gloves, my red heart choker, and my purse, of course. "It's perfect, E," she said, smiling a little bit. "All you need is a jacket. It's a little chilly outside."

"Oh, thank you," she said. I ran back over to the rack and grabbed my blue leather jacket, throwing it over my outfit.

"So what are you getting all dressed up for?" Mal asked.

"My date with Doug," I said, smiling in the mirror.

"Oh," Mal said, looking back down at her sketchbook. She picked up a dark blue colored pencil and started scribbling furiously on the paper.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yep, I'm fine," Mal said shortly, refusing to look up from her paper.

"Then why are you suddenly being short with me?" I continued.

"Evie, I said I'm fine," Mal exclaimed, shooting her eyes up at me. "Just leave it at that."

I looked down at my shoes, the conversation still ringing in my ears. What is her problem? I thought. She suddenly went cold when I mentioned Doug. I shook the thought away when a knock sounded on our door. I reached out and opened the door. Doug stood in the hallway, dressed in his usual attire and holding a single rose. He suddenly looked up at me, eyes wide. "H-hey, Evie," he stuttered. "You look amazing."

"Thanks," I smiled, glancing back down at my outfit. "You look good too."

"Uh, thanks," he said, slightly blushing. He held out the rose. "This is for you."

I smiled at the gesture. "Thank you," I said, taking it from him. I turned to Mal. "Can you put this in water for me?"

Mal sighed. "Yeah, sure, whatever." She barely looked up from her sketchbook.

I set the rose on my desk. "Thanks, M," I said. "I'll see you later."

"Yeah, see you later," Mal said coldly.

I sighed and turned back to Doug. "Let's go," I smiled, holding out my hand. He gladly took it in his and led the way outside.

Mal

I had to force myself to push the thought of me and Evie away. I couldn't have her. As much as I wanted her, I couldn't have her. I'm with Ben. She's with Doug. It has to stay that way.

I stared at the image in my sketchbook, a flash of blue and red colored pencil. I glared at it and slammed the book closed. I rolled off the bed and stomped into the closet. I slammed the door behind me. I ran my hand through my hair and made my way over to the corner of the closet. There was a pile of my clothes in the corner. I threw the clothes out of the corner to reveal a bottle of wine underneath. A long time ago, back on the Isle, Uma gave me this bottle. I never drank it, but now I think it's a perfect time to pop it open. I found a red Solo cup and filled it to the brim with the white wine.

I was on my second cup of wine when I started to feel the effects. I didn't care. I refilled the cup and took another sip. Suddenly, I heard a knock on the dorm room door. "Mal?" Carlos's voice asked. I rolled my eyes and sipped on the wine again. The door creaked open. "Mal? Are you in here?" I leaned my head against the wall. "The light is on," he said, his voice still distant. I heard footsteps approaching the closet door. I sighed and took another sip. The closet door slowly opened. Carlos's eyes widened when he saw me.

"Mal!" he exclaimed. "You can't be doing that!" He grabbed the cup out of my hand, spilling a bit of wine in the process. I glared at him.

"Fine," I said, picking up the bottle. "I'll just have to drink it the fun way." I pressed the bottle to my lips and gulped down the wine. Carlos yanked the bottle out of my hands. "You're no fun,"I pouted.

"What the hell, Mal?" Carlos asked. "This isn't like you."

"Yeah, well, I guess I'm not myself at all recently," I said.

"What does that mean?" Carlos asked.

"I mean this whole thing with Evie," I slurred. "It has to be a phase. There's no other explanation. I'm just confusing romantic love with friendly love."

"Mal, let's get you to bed," Carlos said.

"No!" I exclaimed. "I don't wanna sleep. If I sleep, then this will go away and I'll just go back to hurting because I can never have Evie as mine." Tears rolled down my cheeks. "I don't wanna hurt."

Carlos sighed. "You could try telling her what's going on," he suggested. "Maybe she feels the same way."

"Or you could have girl talk with her and see what she says!" I exclaimed.

"I'm not doing that," Carlos said.

"Boo," I pouted.

"Give me a minute," Carlos said. "Stay there." He left the area for a minute, and then emerged again with a water bottle. He held it out to me. "Drink."

"If I drink anything more, I'm gonna throw up," I complained.

"Drink it," he commanded. "It's good for you." I glared at him, but I twisted the cap off and took a big gulp of water.

A few minutes later, the door to our dorm room opened. The sound of footsteps gradually because louder until Evie appeared. "What's going on in here?" she asked.

I looked at Carlos. He mouthed good luck and quickly got up. He almost sprinting out of the closet, leaving just Evie and I.