IV

Evie

"What are we doing here, Evie?" Carlos asked, terror in his eyes.

"We're stealing Ben's limo," I said nonchalantly.

"Excuse me, what?" Jay exclaimed. "I thought we were past all of that."

"This is for a good reason," I explained. "And I thought you liked stealing, Jay."

"I did," he replied. "But we don't do that anymore."

"We'll do what we have to to save Mal," I snapped. "Now help me steal this thing." I led them to the limo. "What do we do?"

Carlos and I both looked up at Jay. He said nothing. When he realized we were waiting on him, he said, "Why are you looking at me?"

"You're the resident expert on stealing things," I said.

"I've never stolen a car before!" Jay exclaimed. I just started at him. He sighed. "Okay, we'll need to somehow get inside."

I smiled. "I got this." I quickly pulled out two bobby pins from my dark blue hair and set to work on picking the door locks.

"Once we get inside, we'll have to somehow get the car running," Jay said. "Does anyone know how to hijack a car?"

"Okay, clearly you're more amateur than I thought," I said. I reached into my pocket and pulled out a set of sleek black keys. "Here," I handed the keys to him. "Don't ask how I got them." Jay shut his mouth quickly. I turned back to the lock. After about three more minutes, I heard the soft click of the lock. I pulled in the car door handle, and it opened smoothly. "Viola," I said, smiling. "Get in."

We piled into the limo. I took the driver's seat, Jay took the passenger, and Carlos got stuck in the back. "Keys," I ordered. Jay placed the keys in my hand. "Let's do this," I said.

Mal

I heard a loud pounding on the door while I was painting a new picture on my walls. I sighed and set the can down. I walked to the door and swung it open.

"Hi, Princess," Uma said sarcastically. "Nice hair."

"Hello, Shrimpy," I sneered. "What do you want?"

"I want you to leave," Uma hissed. "You don't belong here anymore. The Isle is mine now."

"Careful, Shrimpy," I retorted. "Your bark is much worse than your bite."

Uma cackled. "You don't have a lot of ground here, Mal," she said. "You don't get to make demands of me."

"That wasn't a demand," I said, playing innocent to get on her nerves. "I was simply stating a fact."

Uma practically growled at me. "If I see you anywhere near me or my shop, I will end you."

"Have fun with that," I laughed. "Meanwhile, I'll be doing something more worthy of my time."

Uma glared at me. I stared back, my eyes slowly turning a glowing green. Uma sighed and turned away from me, dramatically swinging her hair in the process. She walked out without another word.

"Yeah, leave, you little bitch," I muttered under my breath as the door slammed. I sighed and turned back to my painting, Uma's words still ringing in my ears.

Evie

"C'mon," I whispered. "Hurry up." I practically dragged Jay and Carlos towards Mal's home.

"Why are we here?" Jay asked.

"Mal's probably here," I explained. "Where else would she be?"

"Oh, right," Jay said. I rolled my eyes and walked towards the speaker near the stairs. I took a deep breath and leaned towards it. "Mal? Are you there?" I asked.

After a moment of silence, I finally got an answer. "What are you doing here, Evie?"

"Can I talk to you?" I asked. My heart was pounding. I waited in the silence. Jay looked up at me. I shrugged my shoulders. Carlos mouthed, is she going to answer? I mouthed back, I don't know.

"You have five minutes," Mal finally said. "And don't bring Jay and Carlos." I looked back at the boys. Jay looked offended and Carlos's eyes were wide in confusion. I turned back to the speaker.

"I won't," I said. I waved goodbye to the boys and made my upstairs.

I knocked quietly on the door. Almost immediately, it swung open to reveal Mal behind it. She quickly pulled me in and shut the door.

"What do you want, Evie?" Mal asked, avoiding meeting my eyes.

"Mal, we're here to take you back to Auradon," I explained.

"Who said I wanted to come back?" she said. She picked up her can of spray paint and began painting a new picture.

"Why do you want to stay here?" I asked. "All your friends, your whole life is in Auradon now."

"I like it here," Mal said. I looked at the ground. I opened my mouth to speak, and then I closed it again. I thought carefully.

"Mal, are you okay?" I finally asked, concern laced through my voice. "You've been acting differently, and not just because you ran off the Isle."

Mal sighed. "I don't know what you're talking about."

"You were distant, and it seemed like you were feeling down," I explained. "Ben noticed it as well." Mal finally turned to look at me when I mentioned Ben. "Are you okay?"

Mal set down her can of paint. She sighed and ran her hand through her hair. "I don't know," she finally admitted. "I guess I have been feeling down... I don't exactly know how to tell Ben."

"Ben will understand," I reassured. "You don't have to be afraid to talk to him. He'll support you, M." I reached out and took her hand in mine. Thankfully, she didn't pull away.

"I hope you're right," she said. Her eyes drifted back to the ground.

"C'mon," I said, giving her hand a soft squeeze. "Let's go back to Auradon." She gave me a half smile. I turned towards the door, and she let me pull her out of the house, back towards our life in Auradon.