XII

Mal

I stormed into my dorm room, slamming the door behind me. I threw my bag onto my bed and fell dramatically onto the bed. I let out a groan of frustration and covered my face with my hands.

"Mal?" I heard Evie's voice say. I slowly uncovered my face and sat up. Evie was sitting there at her desk, doing some sort of homework. "Are you okay?" she asked.

"Yeah, I'm fine," I lied. "I'm great. I'm fantastic. I'm just peachy." I forced an extremely sarcastic smile and laid back down on the bed.

"You're not fine," Evie said. "I saw you fighting with Ben."

I sat up quickly this time, my eyes almost shooting daggers at her. "That was none of your business, Evie," I snapped.

"Okay," she said, putting her hands up in surrender. "It's none of my business. But that doesn't change the fact that I saw it and I know you're upset about it."

"Whatever," I brushed it off. "It's nothing."

"Okay," she mumbled. "Well then I'm going out with Doug."

Something clicked in my mind. Every time she mentioned Doug, I felt chilled to the bone. I hated the thought of him, especially him with Evie. My blood boiled with rage over my fight with Ben and now this.

"What the hell, Evie?" I snapped. "You tell me you like me and then you just continue to date Doug? And you bring it up after you know that I just had a fight with my boyfriend?"

"Hold on, it's not like that," Evie defended. "You told me you needed time to think. You haven't had a problem with it so far."

"Well, I'm done thinking," I hissed. "So tell me. Evie Grimhilde, do you want to be with me or not? Because I'm not going to wait around for you to decide. That's how I get my heart broken."

Evie looked taken aback at that last sentence. "I- I didn't know-" she stuttered.

"What, you didn't know I had a heart?" I yelled. "News flash, I do."

"No, I didn't know you cared that much about me," she whispered. "Enough for you to get your heart broken."

I looked at the floor, suddenly ashamed of how I was yelling at her. But I was still so angry for some reason. "I do," I mumbled. "I do care."

"Of course I want to be with you," she said. "But it's not that simple-"

"Why does everything have to be so complicated, Evie?" I asked, tears in my eyes. "It shouldn't be. If you want to be with me, then just be with me. That's it. No complications, just pure and simple."

This time it was Evie's turn to lower her eyes to the ground. I sighed.

"I don't want to be your secret, E," I pleaded. "I've decided I want to be with you, not Ben. So now you need to decide: do you want to be with me or Doug?"

"Mal, don't..." she sighed.

"I'm going to break up with Ben," I cut in. "Please don't be here when I get back."

"But-"

"E, please," I pleaded. "I need some time alone."

I turned around and walked away, leaving Evie still staring at the ground.

Evie

I sighed and walked slowly to the door, taking 1984 and my red heart purse with me. I opened the door to see Doug standing there, arms crossed and an angry expression on his face.

"Doug!" I exclaimed in surprise. "What are you doing here?"

"Nothing goin on, huh?" Doug yelled, tearing into me with his anger. "You told me there was nothing going on between you and Mal, that I wasn't your second choice. You told me that you were with me because you wanted to be with me, but clearly you want to be with Mal!"

"Doug, calm down," I said, holding my hands out in front of me. "How much did you hear?"

"All of it, Evie!" he screamed. "How am I ever supposed to trust what you say now? You blatantly lied to my face!"

"I never lied to you," I exclaimed. "I told you things were complicated with Mal."

"But you also told me that I was you first choice, not your second," he hissed. "Am I even your second choice anymore?"

"Not right now, you're not!" I screamed. Doug's eyes went wide at my words. I took a step back, realizing what I had said.

"You're a lying little bitch, Evie Grimhilde," Doug snapped. "I don't know why I ever trusted you."

"I don't know why you're not now!" I exclaimed. "I never gave you a reason not to trust me."

"That conversation I just heard between you and Mal tells me otherwise," he countered. "You are clearly conflicted about who you want to be with."

"Honestly, yeah, I am," I admitted. "Because I've never felt this way before. I've never loved two people at the same time. I've never loved a girl the way I love Mal. So, yeah, I'm conflicted."

"I knew it," Doug hissed.

"But you told me to figure it out!" I defended. "That's what I'm trying to do. I'm trying to figure it out. But it's hard to do that when you're yelling at me and picking fights every time I see you!"

"Oh, so now, I'm the bad guy?" he snapped. "Why are we even together, Evie? Is it just to give you a reason to say no to Mal?"

"That's not it at all!" I said. "I'm just dealing with some stuff right now. But I'm tired of fighting. Can't you just support me while I figure it out?"

"How am I supposed to support you when I might lose my girlfriend to her best friend?" he whispered with tears in his eyes. His face was still red with rage, but his eyes were blue with sadness.

"I'm sorry, Doug," I apologized. "I don't know what you want me to say."

"Don't say anything," he said. "Just figure it out. And soon, please. I'm done waiting around."