XVIII

Evie

I packed around the dorm room, thinking about our conversation this morning. I know Mal wasn't fine. She was obviously upset, but about what? What did I do wrong? Suddenly, I stopped in my tracks. My eyes went wide with realization. Oh no. I picked up my phone and dialed Mal's number quickly. Pick up, pick up, I silently pleaded.

I heard ringing come from Mal's bedside table. Damn it! I thought. I hung up the phone and walked over to the table. I picked up her phone and threw it in my bag, along with my phone, and ran out of the dorm room.

I made my way to the library, hoping she told the truth about where she was going. I was almost to the library when I saw the doors swing open. Mal appeared from the other side. "Mal!" I called.

"Evie?" she questioned. She started walking towards me. "I'm so glad I found you; I need to talk to you."

"I need to talk to you too," I said breathlessly. "But you first, let me just-" I stopped to take a breath, "-catch my breath."

"Evie, what you said this morning..." she started, then her words trailed off. "I don't know how to say this..."

"Stop!" I exclaimed. "Let me explain." I took a deep breath. "I meant what I said this morning. I didn't mean to take it back, I just... panicked. I thought things were going too fast, so I panicked and I told you I didn't mean it, but I did."

"That's what I was going to ask you," she said, smiling. "I got so confused after this morning; that's why I left."

I took a deep breath and reached out to grab her hands. She let me take them, and I pulled her into a hug. She smiled and held me tighter. "I love you, Mal," I whispered into her hair.

"I love you, too," she whispered back.

~

Mal giggled and pulled me into the dorm room, shutting and locking the door behind us. "What are you doing." I laughed as she pulled me close. She didn't say anything, but the mischievous glint in her eyes told me enough. She grabbed my hips and pressed her lips against mine. My heart skipped a beat, and I wrapped my arms around her neck.

Ours lips parted and she grinned at me. I raised an eyebrow at her, silently saying, What are you thinking? She pulled me towards the bed and I smiled. We fell back on the bed, her on top of me, and our lips met again, making my heart go a million beats a minute.

Mal

My eyes fluttered open at the sound of my alarm clock. I reached over to press snooze, and I glanced across the room to Evie's bed. It was empty and still perfectly made. I turned over to see Evie still sound asleep next to me. I smiled at her peaceful expression. Damn, she's a heavy sleeper, I laughed in my head.

I reached over and tapped her shoulder. "Evie," I whispered. "Evie." I shook her shoulder. "Evie, wake up."

"Five more minutes," she mumbled.

"E, we have school today," I giggled. "You have to wake up."

"I don't wanna," she said, pulling the covers over her head.

I laughed and crawled out of bed. I headed towards the closet to pick out my outfit for the day. "E, help me pick out an outfit," I called.

"Black tank top, purple leather skirt, my blue jacket," she mumbled. "And black boots. Straighten your hair." I walked out of the closet so I could stare her, eyes wide. She glanced up at me. "What?" she asked.

"Your blue jacket?" I asked. "You want me to wear it? That's like, a super couple-y thing."

"Are we not a couple?" she asked.

"No, we are!" I exclaimed. "I just... I mean, we haven't even told Jay and Carlos yet; I wasn't sure if you wanted to proclaim it to the whole world yet."

"Just wear it," she sighed. "No one will care."

"Okay," I said, "but when are we telling Carlos and Jay about us?" I crossed my arms and leaned against the frame of the closet door.

"I dont know," she mumbled, closing her eyes again.

"E, you need to get out of bed!" I exclaimed, throwing a pillow at her. She groaned and rolled out of bed, glaring at me. I walked over to her, smiling, and planted a kiss on her cheek. "I love you," I said.

"I love you, too," she smiled.

~

I finished straightening my hair and putting on mascara, and then I threw on Evie's jacket over the outfit she picked out. I was about to leave when I heard a quiet tapping sound. I turned around quickly, searching the room. I glimpsed the glass cage my mother (as a lizard) was being held in. She was banging on the glass with her head. She looked angry. I gasped and covered my mouth with my hands.

My mother scraped her tiny green hand against the glass, as if that would let her out. I ran over to the cage and picked up the lid, quickly setting it on top of the cage. My mother looked up at it, almost glaring. I slowly stepped away from the cage, my breathing heavy. She couldn't escape now. I tried to slow my breathing down. I had to remember that I was safe here; my mother couldn't get to me even if she did escape her tiny glass enclosure.

With my breath still shaky, I picked up my school bag and my history textbook and opened the door. I glanced back at the cage one last time. My mother was sitting on the floor of the cage, still staring at me. "Bye, Mom," I said nervously, waving at her. I exhaled slowly and walked out the door, shutting it tightly behind me.