II

Evie

I watched Mal walk out the door and sighed. I took off running after her. "Mal!" I yelled as I ran. "Mal!"

She stopped, sighed, and turned around. "What?" she asked, tucking a piece of blonde hair behind her ear.

"Are you okay?" I asked once I finally caught up to her.

"I don't know, E," she said, not meeting my eyes.

"Mal, what's going on?" I asked, reaching out for her hand. She flinched and pulled her hand away from me. I looked down at the ground.

"Please, Evie," Mal pleaded. "I know you care about me because you're my best friend. And I know you're worried, and I don't really know what to tell you." She looked around at her surroundings as if searching for something. "I don't even know myself."

"Mal..."

"I just need some time to figure it out," she said.

I looked up at her. Her eyes revealed a battle going on in her mind. I wanted to reach out to her and help her, but she wouldn't let me. "Goodbye, Evie," she said. She turned around and walked away, leaving me in the hallway alone.

Mal

Tears stung my eyes as I turned away from Evie. I didn't want to walk away from her, but I had to. I don't want her burdened with my problems.

I headed towards the dorm room, trying to avoid any eye contact on the way there. I locked the door behind me when I entered the room. I sighed when I realized that Jay and Carlos had already left. Good, I thought. I took a deep breath as another tear slid down my cheek. I glanced around the dorm room. I caught my reflection in the mirror. I walked closer to the mirror. I didn't even recognize myself anymore. I touched my blonde hair, scoffing at it. I've turned into a prissy Auradon princess, I thought. I made my way across the dorm room and opened the closet door. I pulled out a box from the bottom of the closet. Sitting on the top was my jacket from the Isle. I threw the jacket on over my dress. I smiled. It was a bittersweet smile, but a smile nonetheless.

I grabbed a duffel bag out of the closet and threw the clothes into it. I grabbed my motorcycle helmet off the floor. As I was about to walk out the door, I saw myself in the mirror again. I sighed and pulled out an outfit out of my duffel bag. I quickly put on the purple shirt and jeans combination, then I ran out the door.

I was breathless by the time I reached my motorcycle. I swung my leg over the side of it after I packed my duffel bag in the compartment on the back of the motorcycle. I started the motorcycle and drove.

Evie

I walked into my workroom and closed the door behind me. Doug looked up from the desk. "Where have you been?" he asked. "I called you, like, five times."

I pulled out my phone and turned on the screen. Sure enough, I had five missed calls from Doug. I sighed and turned my phone back off. "I'm sorry," I said. "I was helping Mal--"

"You were with Mal?" Doug asked. I could hear anger rising up in his voice.

"Yeah," I said. "Why?"

"You just seem to hang around Mal an awful lot lately," he said.

"She's my best friend," I countered. "And she needs my help--"

"Why can't she get help from Jay or Carlos?" he asked. "Evie, I haven't seen you hardly at all in the last few weeks."

"Doug, I'm not going to apologize for helping my best friend," I yelled. "If that's what you want from me, then you're gonna be waiting a long time."

"I'm not asking you to apologize," Doug retorted. "I just want you spend some more time with me."

"I can't handle this right now," I sighed, tucking my hair behind my ear. "Let me know when you're ready to be rational." I opened the door and walked out, slamming it behind me.

~

I took a deep breath and quietly knocked on the wood door. "Come in," I heard. I turned the knob slowly and quietly entered, closing the door behind me. "Evie," Ben said, standing up from his desk. I looked down at the floor. "What's going on?" he asked.

I looked up at him. "I need to talk to you," I said.

"Okay," Ben said. "What's up?"

"Have you, uh... noticed anything different about Mal recently?" I asked. I sighed. "I feel like she's been acting differently." My eyes shifted back to the floor. "I'm worried about her."

"I don't know," Ben said, stepping out from behind his desk. "I didn't really notice anything." He paused for a moment. "I guess if I think about it, she has been a little distant lately."

"That's what I was afraid of," I said. I sighed.

"Do you want me to talk to her?" Ben asked. "I could see if there's something wrong..."

"She hasn't really been in a talking mood," I said, looking out the window. "I tried to talk to her earlier and she told me that she needed time."

"Time for what?" he asked.

"Time to figure herself out, I guess," I said.

"What does that mean?" he asked.

"I don't really know," I sighed, running my hand through my hair. "I guess I'll figure it out myself. Thanks anyways."

"Evie..." Ben said, unsure of what to say.

"It's okay, Ben," I said. "I'll figure it out." I turned around and exited the office. Before I could even get halfway down the hallway, I ran into Carlos and Jay. They were both frantic and out of breath.

"Evie!" Carlos exclaimed. "Have you seen Mal?"

"I saw her a couple hours ago, but I assumed she went back to our dorm room," I said. "Why?"

"She's not there," Jay said.

"Yeah, we were hoping she was with you," Carlos said.

"Well, she's obviously not," I said. "Why? What's going on?"

"Is she with Ben?" Carlos asked.

"No, I just came from his office," I explained. "Carlos, what the hell is going on?"

"Come see for yourself," Jay said. He grabbed my arm and they led me back to our dorm room. They opened the door and practically pushed me inside. I glanced around the room.

"What am I supposed to be looking at?" I asked. Carlos pointed towards an empty box on the floor. I walked towards it. I turned it so I could see the back side of it. Written on it were the words, "Isle Clothes". "This is the box Mal kept her old clothes in," I said. "They're all gone."

"Exactly," Jay said.

"Are you guys thinking what I'm thinking?" I asked, a sense of doom settling over my heart.

"What are you thinking?" Carlos asked.

"Mal went back to the Isle."