Chapter 26 |

Exams are over, so i hope to update more regularly. This one is a little short, though.

_____________________________

Last time she was with Sasuke, which was not long ago, she could still see him. It was nothing but vagueness and blurs, but she could still see him. Now, it was pitch black. Her eyes were just recovering, and the bandages blocking her eyes.

She flinched when she felt Sasuke's hand on her temple, touching the bandages that were wrapped around her head, but he did not pull his hand back. ''You already underwent the transplantation?''

''I thought the sooner the better.'' Kaira murmured, her breathing shaking slightly as Sasuke dropped his hand, his fingers unintentionally stroking her cheek. It was because she couldn't see anything, that she relied more on her other senses, which included touch. The fact that it was Sasuke who was touching her made her nervous.

''Daichi, he-'' ''I'm sorry.'' Kaira interrupted the father of their son who was in the room next to them. ''I asked you to keep Daichi out of it, which was wrong of me.''

''It wasn't wrong.'' Sasuke spoke. ''I also thought it was better to keep him away from this case, to not get him involved.''

Kaira chuckled. ''I guess he likes to defy his parents.''

Sasuke sighed, silently agreeing with her. 

.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

''Naruto won't approve of this though.'' Kaira spoke as she slowly went up the stairs towards the exit of the hideout. 

''Naruto will forgive me, and will perhaps even be grateful.'' Daichi grinned, but Kaira doubted the Hokage would let him off so easily. Naruto was a kind man, but he wouldn't just let someone go against him, even if it was the son of his best friend.

''Watch your step.'' Sasuke said as he grabbed Kaira's arm, warning her for the threshold at the hatch. Kaira crossed it with a broad step, making sure she wouldn't fall over it and murmured soft words of gratitude.

''You didn't have to come all the way to the exit with us, mom.'' Daichi muttered.

If Kaira could, she would have rolled her eyes at her son's comment. She knew he was just worried for her, but the feeling of helplessness that his words gave her was something she did not like. ''Hush, I wanted to.''

''I'll keep an eye on him.'' Sasuke sighed. ''Properly, this time.''

''Thank you.'' Kaira spoke softly. ''Once my eyes have healed, I'm going to see what I can do from here. I can't simply wait. I ran from Konoha to do something about this myself too after all.''

''We'll keep you updated about Izuna and Yuuji's condition, and if we make any progress with the investigation.'' Daichi promised.

Kaira nodded her head and managed a small smile on her lips, altho it was lacking signs of happiness. She was still worried sick for her brother and friend, and she especially blamed herself for what had happened to Yuuji.

''We'll be heading back now.'' Sasuke announced. ''It'd be a problem if anyone notices our absence.''

Kaira was about to reply to him, when she felt the arms of her son around her shoulders, embracing her tightly. ''I'm glad I came to see you.'' He whispered.

Kaira pressed her lips together and returned the gesture, letting his dark hair tickle her cheek. She was also glad he came for her, but if she were to admit that, Daichi would let it get to his head for sure and perhaps do even more irresponsible things. He could have gotten caught, and  Kaira wanted him to avoid prison or any punishment in the future too.

''Please be careful.'' She murmured before pressing a kiss against his temple.

Daichi hummed in response and pulled back.

''You too, Sasuke.''

Kaira heard him hum too before he spoke up. ''You'll be hearing from us.''

The two of them turned around, and started walking away. When Kaira couldn't hear any leaves crunch beneath their feet anymore because of the increasing distance between them, she searched for the hatch and carefully made her way back into the hideout.