Chapter 20 | Find

''M-mom?''

Kaira may be nearly blind, but she'd never forget the sound of her mother's voice. She was sure it belonged to her, there was no doubt, although it couldn't be possible. After all, Miyu was supposed to have died during the war. 

Kaira heard her mother draw a breath before she spoke with a shaky voice. ''..Kaira..''

A sob escaped Miyu's lips and Kaira heard her approach her. She swallowed thickly, trying to get rid of the lump in her throat, but it only seemed to grow bigger when she felt her mother embrace her. Tears welled up in her eyes now as well as she happily returned the gesture.

Seconds later, Kaira let it all out. She already cried a bit before she ran into Suigetsu, but it hadn't been enough to ease her pain. She also didn't know then that her mother was still alive and well.

Kaira didn't know what she was supposed to feel anymore. Anger, frustration, sadness and happiness.. All these different feelings didn't allow her to think clearly. This moment felt unreal, which made her head spin. The lightheadedness caused her to lean more on Miyu, who noticed her unsteadiness and held her tighter.

''Why have you never reached out to us?'' Kaira whimpered as she rested her forehead on her mother's shoulder. ''We thought you were dead.''

Miyu rubbed her eyes before wrapping her arm around her hiccupping daughter again. How she missed holding her child in her arms. ''It was for your safety, as well as mine's..'' She answered quietly. ''I didn't want to ruin the chance you and your siblings got to live in Konoha. Any detected contact with me would mean having to return to your old lifestyle.''

Kaira breathed shakily, trying to stop herself from crying any more, but the tears mercilessly ran down her face, making her eyes and cheeks ache. She knew it was true, but couldn't help but feel slightly betrayed. ''Still..''

Miyu rubbed her hand over Kaira's back in a comforting manner. ''Every day I thought about you, you have no idea how many times I had to talk myself out of storming into Konoha to see you again.''

They both cried for a little longer, holding onto each other as if letting go would mean never getting to see the other again.

.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

Kaira felt her mother's warm hands cup her cheeks. Her fingers trembled, Kaira felt it. Miyu's shaking breath was also very audible as she was still in shock after Kaira told her about her eyes. 

''You're blind?'' Miyu breathed, and Kaira could tell she was crying again, even though she tried not to let her daughter notice.

''Nearly, yes.'' Kaira murmured, letting Miyu study her face. ''I have been too careless.''

Miyu sighed shakily. ''Restoring your vision is possible by transplanting another Mangekyou Sharingan, but there are none available...''

''If my eyes can be fixed, we'll look at the options later,'' Kaira mumbled. ''I'd rather get my life back first...''

  .~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~. 

Kaira sighed, covering her face with her hands as she rested her head on the pillow. Orochimaru had given her a room to rest in after her minor injuries were tended to. Her head ached terribly, and she knew the pain wasn't going to leave her soon.

Her mother's cries after she told him about Izuna's condition were still fresh in her mind, not allowing her to take a break from all the chaos in her head. She never could have dreamt of reuniting with her mother, but they reunited at the worst time possible.

Izuna was hospitalized, Suki nearly poisoned, Yuuji stabbed and Kaira was framed for it. Suki was going to be targeted again for sure, and Kaira couldn't be there to protect her younger sister, nor her older brother, who was unable to even protect himself at the moment.

Kaira wanted to see Yuuji too. She didn't even know whether he was still alive or not, which would probably keep her awake the coming nights. 

    .~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~. 

Daichi looked into the mirror, his eyes focusing on the necklace around his neck. The village was in turmoil. The Uchiha clan was being distrusted once again. No one said it but Daichi noticed it. It's been 3 days since Kaira had fled, and every time he left his house the villagers would glance at him with hesitancy in a distasteful way. Like they were scared, but wanted to let the Uchiha know they weren't happy having him around.

Only close friends and acquaintances supported the Uchiha family, because they believed their story, and not some rumours that a few ignorant witnesses decided to spread. It is true that Kaira made it look as if she was the culprit by running away, but it was the best thing to do.

He wanted to see his mother, but Sasuke didn't give anything away regarding her location. It frustrated Daichi, but he also understood that Sasuke didn't saw a word to keep her safe. That didn't stop him from trying to find out tho. Sasuke and Naruto also didn't let him join the investigation. He was powerless.

He couldn't do anything to help Kaira like this, so he was going to find her and help her at her side.