Chapter 10 | Plans

Please correct if you see any errors :) Enjoy! 

_____________________________________

As Suki picked up the remains of the glass which Kiba broke, Kaira simply stared at the plastic bottle. ''Are you sure it was sealed?'' She asked, taking a sniff of the liquid once again, but she smelled nothing weird.

Suki hummed, standing up with the shards in her hands. ''I bought it earlier today at the store.'' She murmured, still confused about how someone could have added poison to the water. ''It wasn't opened. I'm sure.''

''This can't be a coincidence, though.'' Sayuri whispered softly with a pondering expression on her face. ''Izuna was poisoned, and now this. Someone is definitely targeting us.''

Kiba grunted and gestured to Akamaru to come to him once the dog entered the room. ''I understand that some people may hold a grudge, but Suki, Izuna and Kaira have helped Konoha as much as they could ever since they came here.'' He reasoned, running his hand through Akamaru's fur. ''Why now, after all these years? That doesn't make any sense.''

''We have to keep this quiet. We tell nobody about this.'' Kaira spoke as she put the bottle on the tabe. ''We can't involve others in this. It's our problem, so we solve it ourselves.''

''Ehh, not even Naruto?'' Kiba asked, not sure if going along with Kaira's plan was such a good idea. ''As Hokage, he may be able to help us.''

''Naruto is very busy nowadays.'' Suki said quietly, dropping the shards of glass in the trash bin. ''We shouldn't bother him with this.''

''This is serious though.'' Kiba argued, crossing his arms over his chest. ''People are after us, and who knows they may be after our children too. We don't know who we're up against, so we shouldn't take any risks.''

Sayuri pursed her lips, wondering whose side she was supposed to take. Informing Naruto about this wasn't a bad idea, and it was not like he was going to do something about this himself.  There was the police force, and the anbu. But she also wanted to solve it herself. After what happened to her husband, she wanted nothing more but to find the one who was behind the poisoning and throw him or her in jail. Sayuri sighed and gripped the edge of the table tightly, feeling slightly frustrated with her contrasting thoughts. ''Let's just wait a bit longer.'' She mumbled. ''If it gets out of hand, we get help, okay?"

''That's fine with me.'' Kaira said, and Suki shared the same opinion.

Kiba clenched his jaw, but nodded nonetheless. ''I can agree with that.'' He grumbled. ''But when I think it's time to get help, I'll do it with or without your consent.''

~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.~.

''What happened to your hand?''

Kaira looked up from her cup of coffee, and her eyes locked with the concerned ones of her son. A weak, sheepish smile settled on her face as she raised her hand slightly. ''I accidentally cut myself yesterday evening.'' She explained, carefully moving her fingers. ''Kazu treated it so it should be healed in no time.''

Daichi merely nodded before he took a sip of his drink. Kaira noticed the forlorn expression on his face and placed her uninjured hand over his. ''Is something wrong?'' She asked slowly, trying to make eye contact with him, but he kept his gaze down. ''Is it about Izuna, or maybe Kayo?''

''Oh no Kayo is fine.'' He quickly said, the corners of his lips tugging up slightly. ''I've visited her this morning and she was okay.''

''Then is Izuna's condition bothering you?''

Daichi shook his head and took another sip. ''Of course it bothers me, but there's nothing we can do about that now.'' He muttered sadly, and his expression hardened. ''It's the Hokage.'' He muttered bitterly. ''Kai, Arata and I aren't allowed to get involved in the investigation surrounding the attempted murder on Izuna.''

Kaira pursed her lips, and gave his hand a comforting squeeze. ''I understand why it upsets you. You want to help.'' She started softly. ''But Naruto made the right decision.''

Daichi's eyes widened and his head snapped up. Kaira didn't waver under the unbelieving stare of her son. She understood very well that he didn't agree with her, but he had to understand the reason behind Naruto's choice.

Daichi already opened his mouth, ready to complain, but Kaira shushed him with a wave. ''Listen.'' She spoke, giving him a warning look. ''How can Naruto possibly let you take part in this case if you can't even control your emotions? You'll only be a bother.''

Daichi's eyes darkened as he roughly pulled his hands out of hers and stood up, letting his glass fall over in the process, spilling his drink all over the table. ''I don't think I'd be a bother if I have more information than those stupid men Naruto sent out!'' He yelled angrily, and Kaira narrowed her eyes at him. ''What do you mean, more information?'' She asked slowly, and Daichi looked away.

There was a short silence, the only sounds audible were the Daichi's drink dripping onto the ground and the glass rolling across the table.

''W-Well, it's nothing valid.'' Daichi murmured, his voice suddenly soft. ''So never mind.''

He tried to walk away, but Kaira stood up and took his arm tightly, squeezing it. A hiss left her lips as pain shot through her injured hand, but she didn't let go of her son. ''You better tell me what you know.'' She spoke, her voice dangerously low. ''Right now.''

Daichi swallowed thickly, not having seen this side of his mother before. ''There was a woman at the restaurant.'' He started, attempting to get his arm free from Kaira's iron grip. ''She just seemed suspicious, that's all.''

Kaira forcibly pulled him back into his chair, making Daichi gulp. She released his arm, but gave him a warning look which told him not to try to get away again, and she also sat back down. ''You don't have to be anywhere, do you?'' She asked, and Daichi shook his head. ''I'm free today.''

Kaira smirked and leaned back into her chair. ''Good.'' She spoke. ''Then tell me more about this woman.''