Chapter 19

Payton

I looked at Reid as he said those words. I searched for any sign that those words were lies, but I found nothing. His eyes didn't waver, his breath stayed steady, and as the words were spoken, the smallest smile that made the corners of his eyes crease crossed his face. He wasn't lying, and he loved me. I felt like a fool for doubting him, for not hearing him out like he'd begged me to that night.

He loved me, and I loved him. I knew we had so much to work through. Although his feelings might have been real, he had still lied, and I needed to know what was a lie and what wasn't. I had a million questions, but right now, I was just thankful he was safe.

"We should talk..." Reid spoke after a drawn-out, comfortable silence.

"Tomorrow. Right now, I want to enjoy this; the hell will be there tomorrow. Can you stay with me tonight?"

"Of course, baby. I just got to let my mom and dad know. Oh, I have a new number too. I took the SIM out and threw it in a pond somewhere..."

"You still have the phone?" I'd guessed he'd ditched the SIM. When I'd tried to call it, a woman's automated voice told me the number was out of service.

"Of course, baby. I couldn't let that go, or I'd of lost all those pictures of us. They're all I had left to hold on too."

"Well, now you can hold on to the real me." I smiled.

"Forever, Kitten." He pressed his lips against mine softly. A feather-like caress, barely connecting, before placing another gentle kiss on my nose.

"What do you want to do, Kitten?"

"Curl up in bed, watch a film, and fall asleep with you."

"Want to put on your favorite?" I nodded my response. "Then that's what we'll do."

"I have college in the morning," I spoke regrettably, feeling a weight pull me down at the thought.

"Vic..."

"He told everyone, the whole damn college. But my grandpa marched down the college before I went back. They moved our lockers to the other building, and they moved Vic to the second set. So he's only in when we're in on Wednesday's and Thursday's. Same with Liam and Tom. We haven't seen them yet."

"Good, I'll come back tomorrow too so that I can deck the fucking asshole."

"Don't do that, please." I shook my head. "I already told Emma and Stacey, we're not going to play into his games anymore. No reactions, no retaliation. If he comes for us, we just smile and walk away, we'll lean on each other, but we won't let him see us effect by his cruel games. My mama always said happiness was the best revenge."

He looked at me with bewilderment in his eyes. "How the hell are you so amazing?"

"I'm not. I'm just someone who doesn't want Vic to ruin what we have, not again. This was his fault, not yours. We were just pawns in his childish games. He played both of us, and he almost won, but you're home now, and I'm here. Emma and Stacey still kind of resent you, but they swore to play friendly. We'll fix our broken home, and we'll build it stronger than ever. I have a lot to work on, and so do you, but we'll do it together."

"Together." He nodded. The fire in his eyes that told me he was ready to stand and fight for us. Willing to write a new future, to put things right again. "Let's watch that film."

Reid stood up, me still in his arms, and set me down softly on the floor so he could set up the DVD.

Just as I was about to settle into the bed, a knock came on the door.