Chapter 35

Thame is sitting in the pub joined to his Travelodge, still blankly staring at the sports news on the big screen. He'd spent the whole evening there after walking for most of the afternoon following his interaction with Isabella. The night before her wedding, he should be talking to his family and guests at the pub, welcoming them in and preparing for their big day.

Hidden in this motorway pub, he wasn't really listening to anything and didn't hear the bell for last orders. The evening of EFL games was a blanket of noise and purpose that allowed him to hide, to become entranced by the bubbles fizzing in the beer he nursed. Hunched quiet in the corner, he felt old before his time; inside his head he was a raggedy old man dealing with loss.

Suddenly, as the last orders bell chimes, another more piercing loss runs through his veins and he feels a massive presence leave him. That feeling near the facility ached in his veins again, across his body, desperately grabbing at his breath before ebbing away. It was a shot of desperate adrenalin clawing at life. What was there before was now empty, gone forever. The army was no more, yet his senses were still there, just heavily diminished. His brother was still alive. The sensation woke him from his depression and brought him to the reality of his situation.

Isabella's love for him was diminished, distracted even, but not extinct. He just knew she wasn't over them as a couple, and the truth could still bring them back together. He was responsible for her future; he must go to the Intern and do what he'd hoped he wouldn't have to. Regardless of her, he wouldn't stop until everything of his was destroyed. The wedding would be too dramatic but whatever has happened to his army would put him off kilter, cause a reaction. There would be no honeymoon quite yet, and there would be his chance. Isabella would grieve but once the truth came into play, she'd be able to look forward again.

*

"Last chance, Isa. I can still go down to the cottages." The Intern says.

"Come here," Isabella demands, pulling him towards her. "We're not exactly a traditional couple."

They kiss slowly, passionately, secure in each other's arms.

"Last night unmarried. You going to run away?" Isabella asks.

"Puh, maybe." The Intern replies with a wry smile. She returns the smile and goes into the bathroom to get ready for bed. He looks at his phone which has been turned off all day. This was his time and he was enjoying himself as if the rest of the world never existed. He strictly did not want to be disturbed. He prepares and checks his wedding suit, putting out the final things he needs for tomorrow. He was to go down to the cottages to get ready while Isabella's wedding party would be in the mill. He removes his clothes and slips on some blue pajama bottoms as he waits for Isabella to finish. Sex with her was still exciting and binding; he'd never had a problem with her, never wanted to hurt her like he did with the others.

Isabella gets changed in the bathroom and allows Thame to slip back into her mind for only an instant. Her rage had calmed when she returned up the path as she didn't want anyone to know about their confrontation. Thame had a smashed a massive hole of doubt in her heart. The evening's festivities took her mind off it and a couple of drinks helped too. No, this isn't fair. I know what I feel and I know I can't trust Thame. It's a desperate plea for help, he can't have had anything to do with my parents. He's too young. Sad. She thinks again on The Intern and reminds herself of her love for him and his sweetness.

She opens an expensive-looking gift box that she'd previously hidden in the bathroom away from his prying eyes. Everybody has said that they'll be too tired tomorrow to do anything, so as it's almost the wedding anyway, now is as good a time as any. She takes out lingerie from the box and lays it over the radiator. Checking her face, she pulls up her hair to show off her face and shoulders before changing into the lingerie and a big robe. The underwear was just as much for her and how it made her feel as for him. She felt fantastic in it, powerful, masterful of the situation. She comes out in the complimentary big white robe as The Intern sits on the edge of the bed.

"Hi." Isabella looks at him mischievously. "Your first wedding gift."

Isabella unties her robe to show her black lace body. She felt like she was at her very best on her wedding night, and wanted to show it off. She slips off the robe as The Intern approaches her and takes her in his strong arms. He holds her and mid-kiss picks her up and gently lays her down on the bed. He begins to kiss her ear and neck, moving to her clavicle. She slowly ruffles his hair and grabs hold of it as she arches her back. They slowly writhe against each other, finding the right rhythm. The Intern turns her around to appreciate the back of the body lace and the way it's cut around her cheeks. His favourite. She loved him. He kisses her back and runs his hands up and down her and slips off her lingerie as well as his own bottoms. Caught in the moment, he's already ready to go, and slowly and lovingly pushes up against her. Slipping one arm around her, The Intern softly squeezes her breast as he gently thrusts. Isabella turns her head and beckons him to kiss him. She eventually takes control and pins him, looking down on this man devoted to her. The sex is slow, passionate and more about two souls combining rather than fulfilling a physical need. They both climax locked in a hugging embrace facing each other, completely involved in themselves.

They lay there catching their breath and Isabella uncurls her toes. She gets up, grabs her robe and comfortable pajamas and goes to the bathroom. The Intern remains lying there, still lost in her, feeling every trickle of breeze coming in from the window across his body. This is what happiness is. He gets up and goes to the bathroom as Isabella finishes up. When alone, he takes his phone in and turns it on whilst he cleans up and gets ready for bed.

As he washes his face, his phone connects to the world and begins going off like a firework trapped in a box. He has ten messages, many answerphone messages and missed calls. He checks and sees a variety of calls but goes to the answerphone. The facility is gone. All gone. Fuck. The Intern's bubble of happiness popped in an instant. If it's gone, it'll wait, he concedes. Nothing is going to ruin this day. He goes into his messages, and most are procedural or about the facility. Except the last.

SORRY, SIR. FROM SECURITY ONE HOUR AGO. FACE CONFIRMED AS THE TARGET. PLEASE LET US KNOW COURSE OF ACTION.

There staring back at The Intern is a carousel of pictures from this morning and Isabella talking with Thame. Like a switch had been flicked, his hands begin to shake and his forehead sweats. He keeps swiping around the pictures hoping to see a different outcome in the end. Somewhere she hits him and storms off.

He stares at himself in the mirror and talks to Isabella in his head. It was part wedding speech, part rant, part truth that he could never reveal as the angry madness started to again pump through his veins. I truly love you. It began as a game, as revenge against... Him. But then you, you're just a wonderful person and you woke a part of me that I thought had died a long time ago. You sharpened my edges, empowered me to want more good things. To try fill my life with things like you. To help myself be good enough for you. I will keep you safe as you're the world's greatest treasure but support you in whatever you need to grow and stand tall and independant like the planet's strongest most beautiful flower. But Him.

His body begins to pulsate, powered by rage and consumed by his ego. Him. My duty. What he did to me. Revenge. His nads are squeezed in tight fights. Why are you talking to him? Why is he here? He wants to sabotage me again. Take what I love away. I need to hurt him. While his mind races, his face looks desperately back at him, trapped in the mirror forever. It's you, isn't it. His true human weakness. It was always you, Isabella. And you hid him from me. We will be ready for him tomorrow, and my jewel, I'll protect you from him.