Chapter 26

The HQ hadn't changed. In the years since his first visit it had remained in the shadows, in contrast to Lohikaarme's big bold skyscrapers. Security outside was slim; that would be inside, where the old thick stone of the building would come into its own. Did the whole Order know about the proposed hit? There was only one way to find out. The building hadn't been broken into for hundreds of years and it would take too much planning to do it now.

He strides in purposefully, allowing his eyes to change and Ormr to take control. He rings the bell and stares at the camera. It takes a few minutes before the buzz of the released lock allows him entry.

He moves through the staging areas ignoring the security, his chest puffed out and chin held high. He's in charge. The workers stare, open-mouthed. Slowly, one-by-one, they stop and bow as he walks past. He heads for the main hall where they're prepping for ceremonial prayer.

"Who's in charge?" Thame bellows from the back of the room. About twenty people turn round with an audible gasp. "I am your Lord. Step forward."

A lady, younger than her position implies, comes to the fore. "I am Anna, my Lord," she answers, with a strong Newcastle accent. "I'm the highest ranked currently here. Would you like me to get in touch with..."

"No." Thame interrupts, "Anna, it's a pleasure." He shakes her hand. "Everyone else, please continue. I don't mean to stop your business. Anna, can we go somewhere more private?"

"Absolutely, my Lord. How about The Monk's office?"

"Perfect. After you." Thame moves his hand up, as if to release her to lead him. The office was the exact place he wanted to be. Somewhere in there, or on the server, would be a clue to his whereabouts.

"Will The Monk mind me taking his office?"

"God, no. He's been gone for a while. His daughter got pregnant and then he went into hiding, as protocol says. Normally wouldn't be him with her, but I guess she was too precious for him to trust in someone else's care."

"No one knows where he is?"

"I wish I could tell you, my Lord. But only The Monk and The Monk alone was ever allowed to know. I guess we've never really had you properly with us either."

Anna opens the door to an office that leads into a private temperature-controlled library. Some of the oldest texts and most valuable stories were kept in here.

"With him gone, Dragon of course passed too -" She began, but quickly stops herself.

"Tell me, how's it shaping up?"

Anna stays quiet and looks down, pretending not to hear the question and hoping he won't press it.

"Tell me where he is." Thame puts more of a growl into it. "You're safe here. You know not much can stop me."

Anna moves slowly to sit next to Thame, who has sat down in The Monk's office chair.

"I'm sorry my Lord, it's just... dangerous." Her voice now a whisper.

"With Lohikaarme gone and the line preserved, you're not important now. They don't need you. It's not about any ancient promise, it's about money, their own family wealth. The ancient families of which I'm a descendent of. Dragon was my mentor too. They're too, well, diluted to hold onto the past."

"So what you've been indoctrinated into has changed."

"Precisely. Those who lead The Order now are dictators of their own stories. Mirna is as evil as Sir Henry. Mboki bathes in the blood of the fallen. They are the most dangerous, and it's they who lead the rest."