Chapter 5

The Monk is busting himself for the birthday party. Making a nuisance of himself around the house, he's a man possessed.

It had been five years since he found out that his beloved Abigail was pregnant, and his plan had come to fruit. Seymour's power extended quickly, tapping into areas previously unexplored. Trade deals, business expansion, more money. But one week before Thea Seymour was born, the whole family disappeared; even The Order had no idea where they were. Despite his new-found power, the Monk's number one task was to protect his daughter and the line.

They'd taken up residence in a very fine house on the waterfront in Florida. Being a Texas native educated in the North East, it wasn't anywhere obviously linked to him. He'd been careful. His contacts and history in the security services had served him well.

If The Order knew that the line had continued, the baby would be gone forever. Seymour's familial love took over, and he knew he could best protect the daughter of Ormr.

It was the six months of being hands-on with Thea that changed him. It softened his edges and changed his motivation. The baby sleeping and burping on his chest for days on end kindled a fire to help his family, rather than himself or his calling. He was now the most important member of The Order for a thousand years. Grandfather to the great Ormrs, or likely lines of Ormr if he can keep Thea hidden until she's an adult. But that little bag o' bones had done what no one else had: she had found and taken up shop in his weakness.

It's a long cry from his Diplomat days. John Seymour, Monk of Ormr's ancient league, leader of men, the great manipulator, in a pinny, baking and smothering his granddaughter with unrivalled love.

He was preparing for her milestone fifth birthday. Of course, they'd changed the birth date on all documents when they moved to protect her. A new tradition for show, that after five years became a thing that bothered nobody. Except Abi.

She and Thea had their little moments, secret, exclusive, only theirs. The true birthday was sacred to them. Extra presents, a little trip just the two of them. John dominated them both and consumed all their public moments. But this was one that couldn't be broken.

Abi is stretching, looking to the ocean-lined horizon, laptop balanced on her tanned thighs, lost between a YouTube hole and Whatsapp.

HE'S ALWAYS LIKE THAT 🤯🤬

I'M 23. TWENTY THREE FFS

WOULD LOVE TO.

AFTER I GRADUATE. DEFINITELY.

"Man, I'm so feckin' hot. Two ovens on the go for the cake of all cakes. It's gonna break all records!" Seymour pauses, expecting a response.

"Earth to Abi!" Abi clocks on and turns to her dad.

"This cake will beat last year fo' sure. How's the last studying? Almost done!"

"Fine. Taking a break."

"Thea is going to lose her mind tomorrow."

"Sure Dad. Are you going to tell mum and me what you've made?"

"All in good time. Your mum's almost finished the decorations."

"Cool, shall I help finish them off?"

"No, wait until she's done. A great unveiling! And you need to study."

"I'm ahead of the game, dad. Honestly." Abi flippantly ends. "Anyway, I'm going to do the wrapping in an hour. When we know Madam is truly asleep."

"No, no. I'll do it."

"Dad, I'm twenty-three years old." Abi begins extending the age for extra emphasis. "I'm grown up, I'm a mother of an almost five year old girl, and I know what and when I study."

"Don't start Abi. There's going to be a hoard of five year olds here tomorrow. Save your energy for them."

"Excuse me? Okay, I graduate in a couple of months. Then Thea and I are gone."

Seymour lets out a massive sigh, shakes his head and slams the sliding door shut. He goes back to the kitchen hotter than the oven. He looks at a picture of him and Thea together in the park on the fridge, takes a deep breath and starts on the icing. They won't go, at least not far. He'll make sure of that.

Abi stews in her heavenly prison, staring across at the horizon she'll never get to. Job, career, it'll all be okay. Love? Probably. Not as Abigail Seymour, Honours History Graduate. Abigail Seymour mum and future PHD. Abigail Seymour acclaimed historian in philosophy and ancient civilisations. She would be Sophie O'Reilly, her pseudonym.

Pouring a new glass of wine, Abi goes back to her phone. She starts scrolling before looking to see if her parents are around, then dives into Thame's limited profiles. Not all are public, but she hits what she can get. Excited by the danger of her flagrant rule-breaking, she gets goosebumps.