Chapter 16 - Stars in the Sky

School was getting closer to ending for the year, which Adaline was dreading, she wanted nothing more than to stay at Hogwarts for the summer holiday. All she kept imagining the bruises she would gain at the hand of her brother or the more scars she would gain at the hands of her mother. Always in places no one could see.

With the year starting to come to an end, teachers were sending out bucket loads of homework, Slughorn however, was sending out invitations to the year end slug club party. It occured three weeks before the end of term. A fair few Gryffindor's received invites, Adaline was not the greatest at potions so she did not make the cut for an invite much to her parents dismay, this acquired her a rare letter from her mother.

Dear Adaline,

We expect more from you, not getting an invite to professor Slughorn's party because of your abysmal mark is a disgrace to the family. I hope your marks are better in other classes, if this is not the case there will be consequences. Do not disappoint us again, do you understand child.

Katarina Carlyle

P.S. Elijah has informed us about you mingling with mudbloods, this need to end.

Adaline was fuming, she crumpled up the letter, tossing it aside. She stretched out on her bed, staring at the ceiling, there was no way she would end her friendship with Lily. She was willing to take whatever punishment that came of it, not like it would be the first time they were disappointed in the company she kept.

Adaline did not hear Lily enter the room as she was too engrossed in her own thoughts.

" Will you be my date!"

Adaline almost jumped out of her skin. " Oh my Gryffindor Lils you scared the living daylights out of me."

Lily gave a slightly concerned look on her face, Lily saw the crumpled letter lying on the floor next to Adaline's bed.

" What did it say?" She asked, concern dripping into her voice.

Adaline looked down at her hands and shrugged. " Nothing new my grades are disgrace oh and my friendships are the family scandal. Nothing that has not been said before."

Lily had a half smile on her face. " So will you?"

" Sorry, what will I be doing?" Flashing her best fake smile to Lily, as much as she loved Lily Addy knew she wouldn't get it and that was ok she didn't need to get it. No one else should have the misfortune to understand what she was going through.

" Will you do the honors of being my escort to Slughorn's party?" Lily said with a cheeky grin.

Adaline laughed. " It would be my honor." Adaline responded, giving a half bow as she sat on the bed. " We will need to find dresses."

" A dress catalog is needed then!"

***

Lily's parents sent her a dress catalog a few days later, the two girls spent a fair bit of time looking through the catalog for something to wear.

While looking through the catalog at the table in the great hall a hand reached over and grabbed it from the girls. Adaline spun around eyes falling on Bellatrix Black.

" Too bad you couldn't make a dress look this good Carlyle." Bellatrix said with a snarky grin."

Adaline snorted at this, as she snatched the back catalog. Adaline grabbed Lily''s arm and stood up to walk away when Bellatrix took a step close to Adaline.

" My dear, I heard you were not even going to the party, why shop for a dress? Also, I heard if you keep hanging out with this filthy little mudblood your punishment may be extreme." A look of amusement was plastered on Bellatrix's face.