Guilt

Stein P.O.V

I found Lord Death walking back to the death room. I'm assuming he had just finished interrogating Maya. I approached him. I wanted to get Maya home as fast as I could. There was something important I had to tell her.

"Lord Death!" I called out.

"Ah, hello, Stein." he said, "I just finished interrogating Maya."

"Does that mean I can take her home?" I asked urgently.

"Yes. The topic of her father came up." Lord Death said. I froze. Maya has never been curious about her father. The fact that it came up during the interrogation was enough to shake my nerve. "The story her mother told her, I'm sure you know, is false." Lord Death said, "I can't say for certain that she's going to ask you. I didn't tell her what happened. Whether or not you want to, is entirely up to you. All she knows is that Agatha kidnapped him and bore his child." said Lord Death. I felt a pit in my stomach. I thought the guilt for killing him would be gone by now.

"Damn," I thought to myself, "I killed a man and now I'm in love with his daughter..... If he were still alive, I'd be a dead man." My thoughts wandered over to Maya. I wanted to take her home until the rest of this blows over. I wanted to make my feelings for her known, but now I don't know whether or not to tell her my feelings or what really happened to her father.

"You're anxious, Stein. I haven't seen you like this since you murdered Maya's father." Lord Death said rather bluntly. I hated how he used the word murdered. It sounded planned. It wasn't my intention on killing Ryuji. I was trying to save him from Agatha. I remembered fighting Ryuji. He was yelling at me saying he had more to protect than just Agatha. I didn't understand what he meant until I had killed him and a little girl ran up to him. She was sobbing.

"Daddy! Daddy, please don't die! I won't act badly again! I'll behave, I promise I will!" she sobbed.

"Oh no...," Spirit said in human form. I could only stare in shock. He had a daughter. His daughter was Maya Igorashi. All I could do was run away. Before long, I heard a shriek. It couldn't have been Maya. It was a grown woman. Before long, she caught up to me. She grabbed me by my neck and held me up against the tree.

"You! You killed Ryuji!" Agatha screamed. Angry tears were flowing from her eyes. At that moment, I knew she couldn't have been controlling Ryuji. I made a horrible mistake. Maya ran up to her mother and took her free hand.

"Mommy, you can use your magic to save him, right? You have to hurry. Please save daddy!" she screamed. Agatha looked at me with her rage-filled eyes. She dropped me and ran back to Ryuji's body. I guess she was going to try. I didn't want to take the chance to see and find out. Instead, I ran back to Lord Death and told him what happened. It wasn't until twelve years later, I saw Maya again. I sheltered her the best I could in Ryuji's place. I ended up falling in love with her. How the hell does that happen?

"Stein!" Lord Death said a bit loud. It was enough to snap me out of my thoughts.

"Yes?" I responded.

"Maya's dungeon is unlocked. It never was locked, to begin with. Go take her home." he said. I ran down to the dungeon. I quickly found Maya's cell. I pulled the door open to see her sitting in the corner with her head in her knees. She reminded me of how I first found her.

"Maya!" I yelled. She picked up her head and stared at me. She quickly jumped up and ran into my arms. She was holding on tightly. Like she was traumatized all over again. "They didn't torture her, right?" I thought to myself. I didn't see any marks on her. "She probably had a flashback from being in the dungeon," I concluded. I hugged her back. I didn't want to let go. Not for a long time. I took off my coat and draped it over her shoulders. "Come on," I said to her, "I'm taking you home." I put my arm around her and guided her out of the academy and to the house. I felt relieved that the class was going on. The halls were empty. There was no one to stare at her. After I got her to the house, she went upstairs and straight to bed. After she went up, I noticed an envelope on the ground. It had my name written on it. I opened it and pulled out its contents. I felt my breath hitch and my heart start to race. It was a picture of Ryuji, Agatha, and Maya. Agatha was holding Maya in her arms. They were all smiling happily. I felt the pit in my stomach grow larger. For a moment, I wasn't sure what to do. "Do I throw it away? Do I keep it? Do I show it to Maya?" I thought to myself. Too many thoughts were swarming my mind. I didn't even notice Maya walk down the steps.

"What's that?" she asked me curiously. I crumpled up the picture and the envelope and threw it away.

"Some charity junk." I lied, "Shouldn't you be resting?"

"I haven't eaten in a couple of days. I'll rest after I eat." Maya said as she walked over to the kitchen. The more I watched her, the more I saw Ryuji in her. The more I could feel my guilt eat me alive.