Chapter 3: Smile

It had been three months since the Urarakas left, the wedding was only for higher-ups, so Izuku concluded that Ochaco willingly married the prince, not that he would’ve liked to attend, it probably would have depressed him even more.

It had been three months since All Might activated his magic, he didn’t feel any different other than his constant alertness, which All Might said was supposed to happen.

It had been three months Izuku’s mother fell mysteriously sick, and it couldn’t be helped.

Izuku arrived at All Mights house, hastily opening the door and running inside, to see his mother, barely able to move in the bed, beside her was Yagi, looking down sadly, he glanced up and offered a weak smile.

Izuku and Inko had moved in with All Might, where Yagi had proposed her the idea of going on a quest to better support her and Izuku, which she hastily accepted, saying that Yagi had to train him to the best of his abilities until it was time to depart, which was now a week away.

“Mom!” Izuku rushed to the side, One For All had told him to go home quick, so he was muddied and sweaty, but he didn’t care, his sick mother needed him.

“Izu baby,” Inko croaked out, she caressed his cheeks, “I don’t think I have much time left sweetie.” A tear fell down her cheek, which Izuku quickly wiped off.

“D-Don’t say that! I need you with me mom! I can’t go on without you!” Izuku started to tear up.

“Of course you can baby, you’re Izuku Midoriya, the young man who saves the world from evil,” she smiles, it was her turn to wipe away tears from the boys cheeks.

Izuku glances up to Yagi, who shakes his head, he was crying too.

“At least, that’s how I want you to live,” Inko takes Izuku’s hands, “Be brave, Izuku, and always keep your chin up, I know these are dark times, but there's always a light at the end of the tunnel,” it was evident that the woman didn’t want to leave Izuku, but she still smiled through it.

“I’ll be sure to train him and give him the life he deserves, Inko,” Yagi speaks through his own tears, he had only known the woman for 3 short months, there must be a seperate reason why he was crying, maybe he was light-hearted? It always hurt to see someone die.

“Yes you will,” she chuckled through her pain, “If not, I’ll be sure to cause you the worst ever karma from the spirit realm,” she broke into a wheezy laugh, which broke off into a cough.

Yagi smiled down at her, ‘I’m so sorry.’

“Remember Izuku,” inko looked back at her son, moving her fingers to her cheeks, pushing her smile even more, “A hero always smiles in the face of darkness,” she puts her hands back up on her son's head, pulling him down for a kiss on the forehead.

“I love you, my brave young man, Izuku.”

“I love you too, my amazing mother.”

Inko Midoriya died smiling, even through all the hurdles and pain that was shot at her during her life, Izuku was moved to do the same, and to fulfill what his mother told him.

To smile in the face of darkness.

____________________________________________________________________________

Izuku and Yagi were the only ones to show up to her funeral, which was composed of All Might giving the farewell speech, while Izuku stood there, trying to keep in his tears, which he found extremely hard to do.

The Uraraka’s could not be reached, and Izuku really didn’t want to see the princes face again, so he didn’t bother trying to reach out to them, they did hurt his mother as well. Ochaco was another story, Izuku knew her well enough that she would’ve want to come, she may have even cried as much as him, but the image of her and the prince, standing in front of his mother's casket, arms interlocked brought an uneasy feeling in his stomach and head, so he guiltily declined any ideas of inviting her to the extremely small funeral, not like he could reach her anyway.