Chapter 8

Fall has already crept onto this school year and midterms were about to happen. I am really antsy and scared I'll fail or something. This is college, so... For now Sarah and I are just hanging out at the dining hall with some of our friends.

"So," Sarah begins, setting her focus towards me,
"please tell me you're staying here during fall break? They are all leaving me behind." She says gesturing towards Emily and Jason. An apologetic smile creeps its way onto my lips. Sarahs shoulders drop and she pouts.

"Oh come on," she seems truly agitated,

"this sucks, all my friends can go home and I'm stuck here on campus all alone. Biggest con of going to a college on the other side of America!" It's my turn to have a devilish smile creep up onto my face.

"I have an idea," I say and pull out my phone. I dial the familiar digits of the landline and hold my phone to my ear. I walk away from the bench, to the window. I leave behind a confused and annoyed Sarah,
"Hey mom!" I say after she answers.

"Hi sweetie, how are you?" I miss the gentle happy sound of her voice,

"I'm good, thank you. How about you and dad?" I ask.

"Oh, you know, same old same old. It's a shame, you just missed him, he's gone out to watch the game," my mother and I chuckle.

"Hey, so I was wondering, my roommate, Sarah, she can't afford to go home..." I trail off slightly and my mother jumps at the opportunity,

"Well, invite her to stay with us. Tessa's bringing her new boyfriend and having someone who also doesn't know anyone makes it a little easier!" She gleams.

"Thanks mom," I say as I turn to look at a questioning Sarah.

"I'll talk to you later."

"Bye sweetie, I miss you."

"I miss you too." I say smiling into the phone. I make my way back to the bench and smile at Sarah.

"So, I hope you don't mind, but, you won't be staying on campus." I say and Sarahs eyes widen and she hugs me tightly, repeatedly thanking me.