{Chapter 24: Unplanned Plans}

"Oh, yeah." Soobin slips a tip under the receipt book. "You remember Grandpa, right?"

Shortly after the gawky bus ride, we arrived at a fancy restaurant. Well, it's not five-star level fancy, but a pretty private and decent one. Originally, we intended to just keep it casual and maybe buy foods at a night market. But upon seeing TXT's promotional posters everywhere on the streets, we figured that's a no-no.

And there I told him everything.

The whole Mom's situation, how we'd get beaten up, why we decided to leave, and how stupid I was to not tell him about it. I may have pulled a few tissue papers throughout the story time, but that's about it. In the end, surprisingly, he was understanding and pretty chill about it. I really regret keeping it a secret to him and he forgives me for that.

But anyway, before I gush my eyeballs about the whole dinner fiasco, let's go back to the present.

"Of course. How could I forget?" I smile at the memory, but that smile fades when his expression falls. My face fills with worry. "Why? Did something happen to him?"

Soobin sets his spoon and chopstick down on the table. Despite the upbeat background music, the mood around us grows serious. He couldn't meet my eyes.

Soobin beams a sad smile. "He... He died. Three years ago." I almost choked on air.

"Oh..." I need a glass of water after hearing those. Soobin keeps his head hanging low, letting a few strands of hair fall across his eyes. Even if he can't see me, I visibly frown. 

I reached across the table, holding on to his hand. "I'm sorry."

"Nah, I'm just kidding."

And just like that, all the color drains out of my face. He starts laughing, making me grow even more annoyed. He just did what now?  I pried my hand out of his. The grip on my glass tightens, but not too tight because I might shatter the fancy piece. I remain frozen in place, my blood coming to a boil and it vaporizes off to a sharp glare at his direction.

I grit my teeth, steam probably blaring out of my ears, but Soobin seems unaffected. He won't stop laughing. I cross my arms, facing away from him with one swift move. "Choi Soobin. I. HATE. YOU."

"You know that's not true." From my peripheral vision, he grins innocently.

I hate that he's right about that. But I keep quiet, ignoring his annoying laughter and adorable, angelic face. That doesn't stop the teasing though. He seems like he's actually having fun doing so, but I fight back the urge to put tape around his mouth. Instead, I let him. Well, I have to admit, it's been quite a while.

He grins. "You held my hand."

"It was for support!"

"You look like you were ready to bust out the tears!"

"That was not a funny joke!"

"Do you want to visit him, though?" His laughter gradually dies down as he calmly leans back on his chair, giving me a genuine smile. "He would be so happy if he saw you again."

My heart skips a beat. Seeing how close he and Soobin must be, he probably knew that I left him. He probably witnessed all of the pain that Soobin had gone through. I owe him an explanation as well. I answer. "Sure."

"Great." He says, eyes lighting up. "Then let's go!"

Wait. What? I blink, dumbfounded by his remark. "You mean, right now?"

He ignores me, fishing his phone out of his pockets while looking at his wristwatch. He looks up and mumbles, as if he's trying to calculate something.

"But isn't your grandfather in Gyeonggi-Do?" What? Yeonjun mentioned it, and maybe I also did my research. Haha. Although, I regret asking him that, right now.

He preps his elbow on the table and places his head on his palms, flashing a sly grin at me. "Well, aren't you Ms. Stalker?"

"H-How will we even get there?" I ask, desperately trying to change the topic. "I doubt that we could get there via train or bus at this hour."

"We could rent a car!" He beams. "It's only a half-hour drive to get there. So if we leave now, we'll get there by 6:30!"

Soobin stares at me with his eyes smiling, waiting for my response. This is the happiest I've seen him in years, and if I had the power to stop time, I'd stop at this very moment. I let out a sigh. "Are you serious right now?"

"Yes!" He stands up and goes beside me. He holds out his right hand, with the other behind him. "Now, shall we?"

I shrug, taking his hand. "Fine, let's go."

We got a car, one what seemed like a white convertible Camaro, I don't know. I'm not very good at identifying cars. It's nice, despite the scratch on the headlights and a few missing buttons on the center console, but besides those matters, it's beautiful.

A Korean rock song blares up the radio making me wince and Soobin notices as he winds down the volume. It pains me to say this but that insufferable song is the only thing keeping me awake. I try to hold my eyes opened wide, but they only last for about three second before slipping back shut.

But I shake my head, a failed attempt to wake me up and keep my eyes glued on the road.

"You can sleep," A voice beside me says. I look at Soobin with half-closed eyes, in which he laughs at. "I'll wake you up when we get there."

"Thank you." I mumble before squirming onto the window, making myself cozy.

I look up the purplish sky, soon to be dotted with stars, outside the window. Funny, they reflect Soobin's face, focused intently on the road. I notice him glance at me for a moment, and I feel my face getting hot. Before I doze off to dreamland, one thought slips into my mind. Unplanned plans are the best.