chapter 22

Meticulous planning was what she told me. I on the other hand was curious about what i was doing. Yet then I realized I could leave at any moment. I was living a life where nothing really belonged to me. I didn't belong where I was. With my sister nor with him.
I stretched my hands above me taking in the scene before me. I was at the garden and a memory of me running towards the house to escape my father assaulted my memories.
“I keep expecting you to pay me a call but I am the one forced to come see my daughter.”
Her voice hadn't changed one bit. I tilted my head up into the sun and lifted my hand to block the light from blinding my eyes.
“How ironic.” I said as I turned to look at her and her voice may have not changed but she had aged and not gracefully. I tilted my head assessing her.
“What is.”
“This was the place I last saw you.” She smirked her lips patting her invisible creases and sighed. “Its all in the past.”
I stared at her and pain filled my heart and then went. I wanted to cry that it was not the past. That one day changed my whole life.  The insecurities it brought to me but all I felt was an anger that came and went. Now I was calm.
She scanned me. “Are you happy with your choices?”
No but was I going to tell her? No.
I shrugged. “Do you sleep at night.?”
She then sighed drawing out her fan and fanning herself before peering at me. “You killed my husband. So no. I did not sleep well.”
Now that was one thing I could never find myself caring about. I tilted my head staring at her. “He was an incredible husband wasn't he? You must miss dear old papa. I remember the good days where you cancelled balls planned prior because he decided you were not obedient enough.” Watching her pale I chuckled walking towards her. “Admit it. You were relieved he died.”
“I was. Until one day my eldest tells me my youngest turned out into a harlot. I wish he had you beat to death before bringing shame onto this family.”
Silent shock as she turned to watch me gather my brains. Clenching my trembling hands as I turned towards her. “Careful mother. You don't want someone to hear. I can literally hear your standing in society crashing because of my …’harlot ways'”
She hissed snapping her fan like a cane onto her palms. “I want you to leave! Do not do it for me but for your sister. I don't know why for the life of me, she buried herself in guilt because of what happened to you.”
She did not need to tell me that. I gathered the ends of my skirt and sighed. “I will walk out when I do feel like it. Please do wait until I leave when you decide to pay a call. I might find myself feeling lonesome and seeking a companion and perhaps pick a loose mouthed maid.”

I walked away into the estate using the kitchen door. Perhaps the heavens were happy with impulsive choice to join Annabeth because I was able to catch on early when the butler led him in to the foyer. Low mummers could be heard but I was not going to dally any moment to hear the way of their conversation. I knew why he was here.
Quickly sneaking to the stable grabbing a horse and rode out as fast as I could. Perhaps I could hide at the river...the place that gave me solace.
Letting the horse graze without tying it to the tree was a bad choice. The sound of a horse neigh and the sound of a rider coming nearby was enough to make me rise up and start whistling for the horse only the man of the hour did not wait for the horse to come to a stop. He swung off Landing perfectly on his feet which magnified how gloriously manly he was. He ran a hand through his hair pushing it back.
I had missed him.
Send me to hell for I think my soul is seeking eternal damnation. He looked positively mad. Face was calm but you would be a fool to think he was anything but calm. Most people thought he was always angry because of the fact the side of his face was scarred but his anger was presented by calmness and he looked at me like he could throttle me. He would
Which made me subconsciously step back.
His eyes so dark watching me.
“I am waiting for you to run.”
The horse I had whistled for nudged my leg and I cursed under my breath. Too late darling.
“Because if you do run. Haley. I will always find you.”
“What you have is an obsession with me.”
“Damn right! I do.”

“I just need to go and you and your wife will…”.
“Where was this high moral compass when I found you.” Now that I couldn't answer.
“I was not the first married man you met.”
True.
“I am trying to make a decision that is good for everyone.”
“Where were they when you had to flee your father.” I must have swallowed a rock because I could not respond. He took a step forward startling me making me raise both hands.
“I need you stand further away.”
“I had someone find out your history. Everyone knows why you never rejoined society. He whipped you. His anger so palpable he collapsed from it. These people…”
“I know what they did or did not do. What is your point? I am making this choice for myself.”
“Because of my wife? Did she convince you to leave for her? What does she gain from leaving”.
“She gains a life where she won't be governed by an unfaithful husband.”
“She is not innocent. You knew the day she walked into the estate. I told you she had a lover.”
He wasn't letting me speak not that I needed because of how this was going. I was failing at giving him a reason to run away from him.
“Annabeth signed a contract in which if she decides to walk away. She would lose not only the business but our children will be cut of any inheritance. If you take her hand my daughter will be denied of her inheritance. Her large sum of dowry.”

I remember staring at him and I was puzzled. “So what is it you want me to do?”
“Come to me.”
Puzzled I looked at him and my throat felt dry. “I need to be able to leave with myself…”
“You can decide to do that beside me.”
Shaking my head “no. No no no”.
Taking another step away.  No. I needed to think. I blinked. That was the only explanation to how he got to me.
His arm skidded on my waist grasping me towards him in a tight embrace. My face planted towards his chest. I struggled but he used his right hand to jerk my chin up as he cradled my face forcing me to look at him.
His eyes on my face. Memorizing it. He sighed deeply bringing his forehead to rest on top of mine. His breath fanning my face. Hot. “take me to hell with you.”

Thornwicke P.O.V NEXT.