10.

I could see.
Seen the doctor's round face and eyes that made you feel sorry for them or just sad for them when they might not even need that look. I smiled at him taking his hand. "Thank you. You have done such a great service."
His cheeks turned pink and I resisted a giggle.
"You have beautiful unique eyes that shouldn't be hurt or hidden."
I smiled again In return and watch him rise collecting his belongings and everything , I was determined on looking at everything. I had taken my eye sight for granted and I was not going to do it again.
"Now just because we removed the bandages does not mean you do not treat your eyes well. If you feel it itching sometimes just take a cloth dab it into some hot water and press gently on your eyes but do not rub. Your eyes are like for a new babe. Treat it gently."
I nodded rising to follow him out and my eyes widened when I took in the cottage. I had assumed it was a small one room but no. The cottage was beautiful.
I forced my gaze away to give the doctor my farewells and turned and gave the cottage my full attention.
Abandoned?
Why in the world would someone not leave in such a beauty?
Or use it.
I took note that more maids trickled in with more things like tea cups that made me itch to touch them slightly and making my bed since I was up.
It looked like a princess cottage and I was very pleased.

"Miss Rosy?" A maid called behind me and I turned to realize I had blocked her path and saw she was carrying food. They looked like they came straight from the Farm with the soil everywhere in the basket.
"I am going to clean this up, Miss. " she said hastily and I hadn't even realized the dirt trickling in as she walked past me.
"Take your time."
The Kitchen was large and found myself watching the maid yet again go to the back to wash the vegetables.
"My name is Mary. Miss. I'll be your maid. You are only allowed one servant. "
What did they think I expected the whole fleet of servants?
I sighed and took note that I had spoken those words aloud and Mary smiled.
She did not mention it and went on speaking.
"If you need anything just tell me."
I smiled. "As long as you promise to let me help you with some work."
She rose quickly.
"No".
Well , this was someone who knew what she wanted. I stared at her amused.
" this lovely small cottage is easy to handle. I infact don't need a maid."
She paled and I smiled triumphantly.
"Only cooking then. Can I help you make the food that we are going to eat?"
"We?"
"I sure do not plan on eating alone or you don't think you are fit to eat with a reputed woman"
She stared at me and shook her head.
"No. Miss. A secret between us?" She leaned forward very conspicuous and I decided I did like her. Very much.
*my two sisters are the best in my town."
I did not know whether to smile happy because I did not whether she was pleased with that information.
She must have read my mind and smiled.
"I happen to be very open minded."
I clasped my hands together.
"Good. I am now very happy that you were chosen."
"I volunteered"
Ah...
I couldn't help but laugh. "Which I very much thank you."

Mary was a petite girl with plain features but what set her apart was her mouth. She had the mouth of a woman who could do a lot of things with it.
A mouth where the brothel owners would fight to have in their harem of harlots.
Her mouth just made her whole feature look like a siren and her smile. Heavens. Straight white teeth and a smile that could melt ice bergs miles away.
"No. I very much thank you. I was about to be thrown out before you came because Miss. Thornwicke thought I would catch Mr. Thornwicke's eye and you came and I was forgotten".
It seemed we are meant to be. I thought and happy about today's development.
Not only did he come to me finally but he gave me a taste of what was to be.
I was rather disappointed that he did not teach me like he said he would with my eye sight gone. But I could always wear a blind fold.

The other maids had left as if the devils were at their heels and it was only Mary and I.
And Mary was a talker.
" you sure picked up a good time to show." She called and I turned after closing the door.
"Yes?"
"Miss. Thornwicke is finally throwing a ball and she has wanted perfection and you just arrived and nearly made her heart stop.
Now she is dreading the day because the invitations are already sent out."
I stood at the door to the kitchen watching her.
"A ball?"
"Yes. People's curiosity about the Thornwicke's will be put to rest after this ball. You have heard Mr. Thornwicke is a man who did not inherit his wealth like all this other gentle folk and more wealthy than them.
This will be a perfect time to see him and asses him. Those who want to go into business with him, shall and those who wish to covet his wealth will be attending.
And the women.
Will have something to talk about for decades....every one knows Mrs. Thornwicke is a Madame."
Not everyone. I did not.
So that explained why the doctor wasn't appalled. Most 'refined' doctors would have refused to help someone like me.
A Madame. Now that was interesting.