Ariel sighed. "I dunno."

"Well, I'm gone."

Although Ariel would have loved to call her friend back, she knew she really needed some time to herself. With Gaston, Eric and Vanessa's attack, she really should put a stop with walking around too much in that school.

With Moana finally out of sight, she made a quick U-turn back to class to continue with her assignment which she was working on previously. Lately, class seemed like her only haven.

At least she couldn't drown or suffocate with her head down in a lot of tables.

"Whoa!" She faintly heard a call.

The voice seemed all too familiar... .

No. It had to be her subconscious self playing tricks on her.
She needed no distractions. Her test results had been improving ever since she'd decided to have time for herself.

"Ariel?"
There it went again. No doubt that was his voice.

Ariel forced herself not to squirm. To show no signs that she had heard him at all.

Rather, as quickly as possible, she slipped into her class, closing the door behind her.

The slam of the door startled the only two people still in the class. Nabu and Layla.

Gosh, Layla would go out with absolutely anybody.

"Sorry." Ariel apologised.

Layla just rolled her eyes and stood up.

"Seriously, occupado." Then she and her taller companion walked out of the classroom.

Ariel sighed and scrunched up her nose. Lately, she was getting disgusted with almost everybody.

She quickly walked to one of the seats, three risers away from the lecturer's podium then settled down to re-open her laptop.

It was scary that no sooner after she had put in her password, the door swung open.

It was even scarier that she didn't need to look up to know who had just come in.

Good gracious! It was just a two month crush. There was no way she should be catching feelings and feeling all jittery in his presence.

Yet, she had to show she was mature and unphased about her teenage hormonal feelings.

She boldly looked up.

"Eric." A smile played on her lips. Could he see how badly it was faltering?

"Did I... interrupt you?"

Yes.

"Nope. Just working away."

The constant and unsteady beating of her heart should have chased him away by now.

She scrunched her face in pretend focus, staring at her booting laptop.

I shouldn't be worried. I've got no right to be. I'm the one imposing this on me and him...

"Are you still angry?" His voice rang up again.

Ariel didn't want to stop looking at the loading cursor on the screen. "I shouldn't be angry. I've no right to be. Rather I should be apologising for acting up and walking out on you the other day." She looked at him.
"So, I'm sorry."

Eric stayed with his arms crossed and nodded. "I'm thankful you aren't mad. I really felt bad."

"Okay." She offered him a smile. She was sure it was forced and plastic but hopefully, he wouldn't know that.

When she tried to face her laptop again, she stilled when she heard his steps come closer.

What now, Eric?!

"What're you doing?" He quizzed.

Ariel quickly slammed down the system. "Nothing important. Just some schoolwork..."

"You were running from me in the hall just now, weren't you?"

"Sorry, I was what?"

"You aren't that bad a liar." He laughed, trying hard to reduce the building tension between them.

"I wasn't trying." She scowled and stubbornly faced South.

He took a steady seat near her, carefully due to knowledge of her uneasiness.

For a while, they just sat. Funnily comfortable.

"I have to admit. It was a teeny weeny crush." Ariel whispered to the air in front of her. Whether he heard it or not, she didn't really want to bother.

"I guess I was kind of a fool to not notice on time. I did... later, however."

He heard her then. Her heartbeat slowed.

"I'm not a fan of shooting my shots. I'm more of the 'crushing behind the scenes' kind of girl."

Eric chuckled. Then he really didn't know what to say.

"Are you feeling weirded out?" She spoke softly.

"I can't doubt the fact that I am. I'm really flattered but..."

Ariel shook her head. "I know. You're still not over Vanessa. I'm not trying to impose anything on you, I swear. It was just a crush and... you're the one who's making me open up to you now." She fell her head into her open palms, causing her red fluff of hair to cover her form.

Eric smiled beside her. He really really did not know what to do.

"Hey." He called earning a weak shrug from her. "Maybe, just maybe, we should start over. I dunno, as the time rolls by? Step by step, perhaps?"

She threw her head up and turned to him. "What?"

He forced himself not to look too taken aback. "Yeah. It's not that bad. We could start as casual friends, you know? Buddies."

Her mouth formed a complete 'O'. She definitely wanted more than just 'Buddies' but wasn't she farther than she was two months ago when he wouldn't even look her way?

"For real. I'm sorry for being so jumpy but... really?"

"Wouldn't hurt. We could-" he paused then searched her face.
Her eyes showed such a blinding gleam that he was almost tempted to fall into. "We could go to the Winter party together."

She bit down on her bottom lip. Hard.
"Are you serious? Me?"

"Yeah. I've got no plans. We could try it. Ariel."

Her heart felt like it would burst at any moment. That was close to asking her out. She could definitely go with that

And the way he said her name. The drawl. He must have known it had an effect on her somehow.

"Thanks. I mean... thanks. I'm sorry, I just..." she pushed her bangs up from her forehead in surprise. "This is so not happening."

Keep calm! Jeez!

"Uh- I guess I'll see you around huh?" She brought forth a hand.

Once Eric stopped laughing, he brought out a hand too. "I'll see you around, Ariel."