31 | Saving grace

◈A D R I A N◈

"My, oh my. Look who's here," that oh-so-familiar voice echoed in the empty warehouse.

Like some cheesy, overplayed Dracula movies, the light shining from above accentuated the curves of Damon's wicked smile. Those tiny fangs that resembled a canine was revealed when the pair of lips pulled back into a grin.

My body ran cold instantly, all warmth had abandoned me at a drop of a hat as my skin rippled in chilling sweat.

They shouldn't be here!

A clang sounded behind Damon and another figure slowly approached us. Glancing past his tall frame, I recognised several familiar faces mixed with fresh ones.

Jenna no longer had long, flowing hair reaching her waist. In fact, her hair was fashioned in a crew cut with metallic piercings lining along the arch of her brows. I wouldn't be able to point her out if wasn't for her death stare.

Thomas, on the other hand, looked pretty much like his old self except for his missing buddy, Charlie. And the buff guy who was snorting a line of white powder turned out to be Nico.

"You bastard!" Jenna hissed and charged at me only to be stopped by Damon's outstretched arm. "Damon! That bastard betrayed us!" she screeched, her hand gripped tightly on his forearm.

"I'll handle it, Jenna," Damon snapped. Her lips pursed, swallowing her refute grudgingly. She knew better than to argue especially when Damon called her by her name. That's how she knew he was serious and he would not tolerate any insubordination.

My throat tightened instinctively at his tone. I might be dead before dusk arrives.

Gulping nervously, I tried to scan my surroundings for any loophole as inconspicuous as I could. Unfortunately, a shifty rabbit could never go unnoticed by a preying hawk.

"Looking for a hole to crawl into, Adrian?" Damon teased, his voice as dropped low with a hint of mockery when he spoke my name.

"N-no. Just making sure there wasn't any cops around," I spoke suggestively. Just to remind him to be cautious of his actions.

And of course, to secure my safety no matter how futile it was.

His brows arched in disbelief before he let out a hearty chortle. "You're a big boy now, huh? I see you've lived well these past two years," his voice held a tint of reminiscent of our past.

He took a step forward while I forced myself to hold my ground. However, his piercing eyes looked past through my flimsy front and saw my shivering frame.

"Are you afraid of me, Addie boy?" he asked. Jenna's lips curved into an ugly smug when she heard my pet name.

Flashes of crimson liquid flowing down the metal bat and the sickening sound of skull cracking under hard impact. The scenes zipped past through like a video put on rewind, gaining speed until it slowed down to the first time we met.

His helping hand in front of me while I stayed on the dusty ground.

"Sorry, man. I didn't dodge in time."

If only I wasn't so caught up in my own frustration, I would have seen those mischief intents hiding behind his easy smile.