8 | Inverness

A D R I A N

He didn't remember me.

I didn't understand why my heart clenched at that. Nor the sudden rage that filled me at the realization that I wasn't significant enough to him, not even when I was playing hopscotch with Death itself.

I left his apartment without a word when he was out to stock up his fridge. Bet he's gonna find a way to reprimand me the next time we meet.

Well, fuck him.

Despite my injuries, I still went to school. I'd rather face the bullies than having mom's accusatory stare burning holes on my back at home. This time, I wasn't reckless anymore as I made sure not to bump into any of those bastards. Who knows if they wanted to play with me again. My delicate ankle couldn't handle those rough brutes.

I slowly limped my way to the cafeteria, careful not to show my face as I had my hoodie drawned over my head.

"Adrian!" a female voice yelled.

Oh shit. This is not good.

"Wait up!"

Immediately, I quickened my limping as best as I could even if my broken ankle protested profusely. I heard footsteps slowly closing in before a slim hand grabbed onto my shoulders and squeezed.

"I said WAIT," she hissed as she dug her nails into my shoulder.

I swallowed back a sigh and turned, smiling wryly at the flame-haired girl standing before me.

"Hey...Fancy meeting you here," I said slowly, trying to appease her anger.

"I'm afraid I can't say the same, not when you deliberately ignored me and my calls," she narrowed her eyes at me with her arms crossed.

Kelly may be petite in stature but her temper rivaled the Hulk.

"Right. I was kinda busy these days," I lied.

Yeah. Busy thinking about him, my inner self mocked.

Clearly, Kelly wasn't buying my lame excuses but she didn't push any further. She had much more pressing matters to deal with. She still had her hand on my shoulders, worried I might sprint away and disappear as we slowly walked to the cafeteria.

"Have you given any thoughts about the project? I'm thinking about Scene Five of Inverness. You can be Macbeth and I, Lady Macbeth. We can add-" her voice trailed off as I zoned out, completely disinterested in this pretentious farce.

Kelly stopped in her tracks when she noticed my silence. She took a step to the front and whirled back, ready to confront.

"Are you even listening?! I can't have you pulling me down the grades, not when Amanda's hot on my trails to Number One!" she snapped, her hair going wild.

Feeling pissed, I shrugged off her hand roughly and walked away. I'm not going to get stuck in between those two crazy bitches' feud.

"Hey! I'm not done with you yet!" her feet stomped behind me.

"ADRIAN DAVIES!!" she shrieked, completely lost her mind.

She quickly caught up to me and her claws pulled at my hood, revealing my bruised face.

"What?!" I snarled, my cut lips busted open and a trickle of blood flowed down my chin.

Kelly's eyes widened when she saw my bloody lips as well as the numerous black and blue littered across my face.

"Adrian....wh-what happened?" she was at a lost for words. Her left arm extended to touch my face but I jerked my head to the side, avoiding her touch.

"Did someone did this to you? Did you tell the principal? Do you need me to call the police?" she bombarded me with questions. My head started throbbing from all those questions. I waved her off dismissively, changing my route to the washroom where Kelly wouldn't be able to follow.

"Adrian..."

"Just leave me alone," I pleaded.

Kelly stayed rooted to the ground as I pushed open the door and entered. Thank goodness the washroom was deserted. I turned on the tap and put my hands under running water and wet the dried blood on my chin. I winced at the contact as my thumb swiped at the flecks of blood. They slowly dissolved and tinted the water red.

I sighed as I tugged at the collar of my shirt and wiped my damp face. That was unnecessarily exhausting. Maybe coming to school was a bad decision. Maybe I need a new hideout for me to escape from reality.

God, I need a smoke.

Author's note

Hey guys. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you liked it, please consider clicking on the little star to vote :)

{Song: I Saw Red by OWEL}