4 | No show

A D R I A N

I hung the broom on a rusty nail half embedded into the wall and wiped a bead of sweat rolling down my forehead with the back of my palm. Turning around on my heels, I looked around the workshop as my chest puffed out with pride. It looked neat.

He's going to be blown away, I smirked.

I decided to go back into his office to wait for his return. It's a whole lot organized and I wasn't going to ruin my jeans by sitting on the greasy floor. Also, the office gave me a vantage point at his expression. As I was about to take a seat, a thought came across my mind. I straightened and walked to the high back chair where he sat before and ran a finger along the armrest.

There's something about him that I just couldn't put my finger on. I couldn't explain this odd fascination of mine. He does things to me that I couldn't fathom. I want to rile him up. I want to feel that piercing gaze on me again, his warm hands gripping mine. I want to be unforgettable.

I leaned against his chair, propping my feet on the table. It's already more than an hour yet there's still no signs of him. Drumming my fingers against the desk, I hummed to my favourite song with my feet tapping along the rhythm. Soon, my humming stopped and my feet resting on the ground went limp as sleep enveloped me.

The next time I opened my eyes, soft light had penetrated into the workshop, washing everything in a pale soft glow. I pushed myself from the table and used the sleeve of my sweater to swipe off the puddle of drool I left there.

I pushed on the handle and creaked open the door. There wasn't a single soul there. Not even him, much to my disappointment. Clenching my hand into fists, I kicked a lone screwdriver which I missed out yesterday, sending it over to the wall and landed with a loud thud.

He's unbelievable! Leaving me here all alone with no care for my well-being. I stomped back to his office and pulled open the drawer where he kept his earnings before snatching a twenty bill. This should cover my breakfast.

I wasn't afraid to admit that I snooped around his office last night. I wasn't proud of it but I was bored to death. My phone ran out of juice a couple of hours later and I couldn't find any charger.

After pocketing the money, I stormed out of the workshop, not giving two shits about it and took a detour to McDonald's for breakfast. I ordered two large Big Macs, a 12-piece nugget set and a milkshake to wash all that down my throat. It was more than what I could normally finish but the rage gnawed at my stomach and makes me want to devour everything.

My stomach rolled halfway through the second burger. I spit out the remaining of the burger and took a sip of the milkshake to wash off the taste.

I slowly walked home, my arms wrapped around my torso as I felt a little queasy from the excessive amount of food. I was a little surprised to find my mother seated on the dining table with her arms crossed when I pushed open the door.

"Where were you last night?"

"Friend's house," I lied through my teeth.

She arched an elegant brow. She knew I was lying but she didn't press any further. She simply didn't care enough.

"Mrs. Dawson requested for a meeting with her to discuss about your issues. Would you like to fill me in on what to expect in the meeting?"

"No."

"Are you sure you want to use that tone with me?!" she raised her voice, her patience wearing thin. "Don't look at me like I owed you. If anything, I gave life to you and put food on this damn table!" she shrieked, slamming her palm on the table to prove her point.

I've had enough. Today was a shitty day and it was going downhill at this second. I walked past her and entered my room, slamming the door to warn her not to provoke me anymore. She must have grabbed a nearby glass and flung it against my door when the small shards of glass came sliding through the crack. That wench was gonna get me killed sooner or later.

I slammed my fist against the door.

"FUCK YOU!"

"Well fuck you too!" she retorted, her voice muffled with the door acting as a barrier. From her impulsive mood swings and deafening shrieks.

Flinging myself onto the bed, I pressed my face against the pillow and screamed. How was it possible for two consecutive days to be 180 degrees different? I squeezed my eyes shut and slammed my fist against the pillow. The bed frame creaked under the assault.

I fished out my phone and plugged it to the charger. I needed music to drown everything else. My phone dinged and I saw seventy-four missed calls and thirty-two messages flooding in. All of it was from Kelly. Ah. I'm screwed. I knew I can't avoid her any longer if I value my life. She will skin me alive with the deadline approaching fast.

My phone rang again. The caller ID showed Kelly. This time, I sucked in a deep breath and picked up the call, bracing for impact.

"'Sup," I greeted defeatedly.

"I will not let you destroy my life," she hissed.

Author's note

Hey guys. Hope you enjoyed this chapter. If you liked it, please consider clicking on the little star to vote :)

{Song: Don't Take The Money by Bleachers}