50 | Second chance

◈A D R I A N◈

"Look, you really need to stop moping around like a slug," Kelly grumbled, her right arm going around me to reach for the beaker. The white sleeves of her lab coat fluttered before my eyes.

"What happened to you? I know you're all about giving the dark and gloomy vibes but you're a total black hole today," Kelly added as she peered into the beaker and gave it a light swirl.

Black hole, huh? I smirked, the muscles of my lips straining from lack of use. There was no better word to describe what I was feeling now—or rather lack thereof.

"Look, I don't mind doing all this work by myself," Kelly gestured at the apparatuses and chemical liquids for our mini experiment, "but can you at least pretend to be useful? I swear Mr. Chan just looked our way for the fourth time and it isn't because I'm doing such a great job here."

I turned my head the other side, blatantly ignoring her and stared at the broken cobwebs glinting like thin silver threads under the penetrative light. I heard Kelly let out a frustrated huff and resumed pouring the chemicals into separate test tubes.

It's over now, I thought silently. Logan must be feeling beyond disgusted for saving a deviant, gay murderer who has the hots for him. Hell, Logan probably moved to another state just to avoid me.

I squeezed my eyes shut and burrowed my face deeper into the crook of my arms. Just the thought of not being able to see him anymore forced a lone tear slipping down the corner of my eye.

"Is this about Logan?" Kelly whispered, her tone low and careful.

"Yeah," my voice sounded muffled and miserable. I turned my head back towards Kelly and sniffed, "I told him I like him."

Kelly took a sharp intake of breath, her fingers stopped stirring the purple liquid in the beaker. She glanced at me and sighed, "I guess he didn't take it too well."

"N-no," I gave a watery reply, my eyes burning again with unshed tears. "He hates me now."

"I'm sure he doesn't hate you. Maybe he's...he just didn't know how to respond to your confession, that's all. Hey, maybe it wasn't as bad as you thought it was," Kelly gave a light, sympathetic squeeze on my forearm.

I shook my head. "You wouldn't understand. You should have seen his face, Kelly. He's undoubtedly disgusted with me."

Kelly's limpid eyes flashed with anger. "Screw him then! That jerk doesn't deserve your affection!" she burst out.

I winced, completely forgotten about her parents and how sensitive she gets about homophobia.

Before I could utter a word, Mr. Chan strode towards us with a disapproving look. "Miss Montgomery, I hope you're aware of your surroundings. No profanity in class."

"I'm sorry, Mr. Chan," Kelly apologized, her reddened cheeks prominent as opposed to her white lab coat.

Mr. Chan turned his attention to me and I was forced to push myself away from the table. I sat a little straighter on the stool under his watchful stare.

"And you, Mr. Davies. I did not pair you up with Miss Montgomery to give you a reason to slack off. Your participation will greatly affect the final marks for this mini assessment," Mr. Chan chided.