When Jason met Dixie's gaze, he saw the worry written all over her face. He grabbed her in a warm embrace even though the fence was between them. "Don't worry. I'll be alright."

"I trust you," Dixie whispered. She was more than worried, she was fearful. She knew just how dangerous trying to break a horse was. She used to do it all the time with Tavin. But that was until Ma was killed. "I love you."

Jason smiled into her hair, rubbing her back in small, tight circles. As much as he wanted to stay like this forever, he had a horse to break. He squeezed her as tight as he could with the fence between them. "I love you more, angel."

As Tavin and Leroy led an innocent-looking gray into the pen, Jason let go of Dixie. "I'll be fine, I promise."

Annalyn gave Dixie a big hug while Jason headed over to the horse. "He's gonna be fine. He knows what he's doin'."

"So did Ma," Dixie said softly.

Tavin and Leroy took off at a run, climbing out of the pen as Jason prepared to mount.

As soon as Jason hopped into the saddle, the docile gray became the perfect definition of utter chaos - snorting, spinning, and bucking furiously. The dirt being kicked up was so thick it surrounded the horse and rider, blocking the others from seeing anything but a flash of hooves. As the rampaging horse launched itself around the pen, they could see Jason hanging on for all he was worth. A few bucks later and Cowboy's Stetson went sailing through the air.

Amidst the fear, Dixie's heart swelled with pride. He was truly amazing to see on a bronco, but, with every kick the horse made, she held her breath.

Recollections of that horrible day flash through her mind. Her mother in a riding habit, determined to break a gray horse oh-so-similar to the one Jason was on. Tavin led it into the round pen and hightailed it so he wouldn't be in the way. The horse's frenzy, the bucks and snorts. Dust, so much dust. The smile on her Ma's face when the horse seemed broken and the fight was over. Then the look of terror as the gray suddenly bucked and she lost her grip. The final kick that snapped her neck.

"Dixie, look at him go!" Annalyn said excitedly. "That's longer than anyone else has stayed on."

Dixie jumped, letting go of a breath she didn't know she was holding. Focusing her attention on Jase, she saw his triumphant cowboy attitude as the horse began to give up. She could see that confident grin he was wearing on his face from her position along the fence.

After a few more kinks were worked out, Stoney settled down and walked around calmly. The cowboys cheered and whooped. Annalyn smiled and hollered her congratulations.

Dixie said nothing. Her attention was completely focused on the horse. She saw that wild look in its eye. She knew what was fixing to happen, her gut feeling never let her down.

Before she could act, Stoney bunched his muscles and gave a good kick and hop, knocking Jase loose from the saddle as dust rose up to cover the scene.

"Jason!" Dixie screamed. Her mind was in overdrive, flashing her back to nine years in the past. Somehow she scrambled over the fence and made it to Jason's side first. But instead of seeing Jason lying there in the dirt, she saw her mother with blood trickling from the corner of her mouth, eyes frozen open. Dropping to her knees, she cradled his head as she had Ma and sobbed while Stoney cantered around the pen.

"Dixie!" Tavin said firmly. "Get off him. He's fine, just got the wind knocked outta 'im. He can't get any air if you don't give him some room."

Tavin's reprimand brought Dixie back to the present. She opened her eyes to see Jason's beautiful blue ones staring at her with confusion and a bit of pain. She let go of him and scooted back. "I'm. . . I'm sorry. . . ."