Chapter Fourteen

Jason couldn't seem to focus as he led a small buckskin. He may have been riding Raven back to the fixed pasture in body, but he was far from that in mind. His thoughts kept turning over the words of the note the ranch hands found pegged beside an obviously sawed in half board of the pasture's fence.

Better watch your back, Archer. This is just the beginning.

Jason was sure he knew exactly who it came from and what it meant, but that didn't matter. He was not selling, let come what may.

"Got another?" Leroy asked, opening the gate to let the new arrival in.

Leroy's voice snapped Jason from his thoughts. His eyes refocused and he realized Leroy was talking to him. "Uh, yeah. Yeah, I got another."

Leroy put his hand on the young buckskin's back, leading him back into the pasture. "That's five so far. We got three left out there somewhere."

Jason smiled with relief. "Thank the Lord!"

"You can say that again," Leroy agreed with a grin. His gaze was drawn away from Jason by the dust rising on the small trail leading to the house. "Looks like we got company."

Jason turned in his saddle, catching a glimpse of a golden horse amidst the dust. He only knew one person with a horse like that. He smiled so big Leroy was scared his face would crack.

"You may wanna watch that smile of yours," Leroy warned. "It may split your face in half."

Jason laughed, shaking his head. "Might improve my looks some."

Leroy jerked his head in the direction of the approaching rider. "She may not think so."

Jason shrugged, his smile seeming to get wider. He took of his Stetson and ran his fingers through his damp hair. "I wish Sundancer would run faster, I wanna see her."

Leroy chuckled, leaning back against the gate to the pasture. "Hold your horses, amigo. She'll be here anytime now."

Moments later, Dixie slowed Sundancer to a stop in front of them, the smile on her face rivalling Jason's. "Hey, y'all!"

"See, told ya," Leroy said quietly with triumph in his tone. He gave Dixie a smile. "Why, hello there!"

Jason rode up beside Dixie, their horses brushing sides as he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. "What brings you here, Angel?"

Dixie's eyebrows twitched as she tried to hold back laughter. She couldn't keep a tiny giggle from escaping. "Can a girl not go see her man unannounced?"

"Of course!" Jason smirked. His mind was reeling at her presence. He thought she looked breathtaking, with strands of her windblown hair sprouting out of her bun and curling around her face. He stared into those gorgeous green eyes that he adored so much. "Have I told you how beautiful you are lately?"

Dixie's smile turned shy. A pink blush spread across her face, and she looked down while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear.

"Don't forget our current predicament, Jason," Leroy reminded softly, not wanting to spoil the moment.

Jason blew out a sigh, closing his eyes for a second. "Ugh, don't remind me."

"What's wrong?" Dixie asked, reaching over to touch Jason's knee.

Jason rubbed his face. "Long story short, our newest horses are loose."

Dixie's mouth opened in shock. "Oh, no! What can I do to help?"

"I'm not lettin' you help. It's too dangerous."

Leroy shot Jason a look. "Listen up, Jason, Dixie knows how this works. She helps around the Broken H a lot. And we could use all the help we can get."