Prologue

Abilene, Texas

Soft pinks and swirls of vibrant, reddish oranges spread across the sky as the setting sun, sitting like on the horizon like a thick drop of blood, spread its last fingers of light to the world below. The coolness the sunset brought was greatly welcomed by a dusty lone cowboy leaning against a sturdy wood fence, his tall, lean form silhouetted against the bold hues of the dying sun.

Taking off his Stetson and wiping the sweat from his face with the back of his work-hardened hand, the cowboy peered out into the pasture to watch the grazing horses. His ice blue eyes missed nothing. After seeing all was well, he reached through the fence into the trough and brought back a big handful of water. He splashed his face and doused his hair, smearing away the dirt with a holey bandana. Looking back up to the horses, a bright smile split through the grime on his face as a couple of colts horsed around beside their mothers. From the edge of the pond, a huge black stallion made his way to the fence, stopping only to nicker a greeting to his master, who chuckled and lovingly rubbed the steed's nose.

This rugged man was every bit a tall drink of water, leaning up against the fence and petting his horse with a fetching grin. He had everything going for him, from his roguish, somewhat boyish grin, to his thick brown hair that curled up under his hat. He was a force to be reckoned with with his startling blue eyes, handsome face with well-chisled features, and a dazzling smile. Not only did he have a rough-and-tumble cowboy look about him, but he carried himself with an air of authority. He was also gentle in a firm but affectionate way that nearly contradicted his appearance. One thing was for sure, he lived by the Cowboy Way: be rootin', be tootin', and by the blue blazes be shootin', but most of all, be kind.

"Jason! Supper's ready!" called a beautiful, wispy-haired woman from the doorway of the ranch house. She turned to shut the door with an easy smile, casting her brown-eyed gaze once again to the handsome cowboy. "You better hurry up if you want any of the cornbread. Laramie and Cohen were takin' it out before the rest of the meal was done."

Jason bit back a grin as he turned his back on his horse. "Well, Annalyn, they are growin' boys," he drawled sweetly at his sister, sticking up for his younger brothers.

Annalyn rolled her eyes. "That's what everyone says about them, and you too," she huffed in mock frustration as she shut the door.

Kicking up clouds of reddish dirt, Jason ambled up on to the porch. He smiled and paused his hunger-fueled journey to fondle the ears of the aged and faded dog laying lazily by the door. When he successfully itched out a delighted whimper, he wasted no time setting foot into the house and crossing the threshold to the food-laden kitchen table.

Surrounding the table in slightly mismatched chairs, sat identical twins Laramie and Cohen with sparkling eyes, Ma and Pa smiling happily, Leroy grinning like a wild man, and Annalyn with her hands clasped waiting for the blessing.

Jason slid into his chair beside Annalyn, not even trying to suppress a grin at the disgusted look on her face.

"Jason Archer! Couldn't you have cleaned up a little better?" she hissed quietly in distaste, careful not to draw attention. "And you wonder why you haven't found a woman yet!"

"Jase, nice to see you finally joined us," Pa smiled, noticing the exchange between his oldest son and daughter. "Would you bless this wonderful food?"

"Yes, sir." Jason bowed his head. "Lord, we ask that You would bless this food before us. Let it give us strength in our bodies to work and walk in Your ways. Bless the hands that prepared it, and the family before it. We ask this in Jesus' name. Amen."

A chorus of amens followed Jason's blessing. The ham, potatoes and gravy, purple-hulled peas, and what was left of the cornbread was passed around. Each plate was heaped to capacity. With thankful hearts, the Archer family filled their bellies with the bounty the Lord had blessed them with.

Later that night, Jason tossed and turned in his bed as Annalyn's words echoed in his head.

And you wonder why you haven't found a woman yet!

He sighed. She was right about one thing, he didn't have a woman. But, he believed there was someone out there who'd love him just like he was. The image of a tall, pretty girl plagued his mind and heart. She was the only thing of the female persuasion that interested him, and he hadn't seen her since he was fourteen.

With a heavy heart, Jason walked over to his window and gazed at the twinkling stars and vibrant moon. The night sky never ceased to amaze him. God, You know the desires of my heart, and only You can make a way where there seems to be no way. So, I'm leavin' this in Your hands. Do with it what You will.

Little did Jason know, on the opposite side of town, his prayer was being echoed just as earnestly.