Chapter Four

"I've said it once and I'll say it a thousand times over," Annalyn giggled, aiming a playful swipe at Dixie. "You and Jase are perfect for each other."

Dixie blushed crimson, taking off her cowgirl hat and fanning her face as Jason and Tavin walked around in the round pen. It'd only been a few weeks since her and Jason became a couple, but nonetheless their bond was strong and obvious to everyone. "Oh quit, Anny!"

Annalyn shrugged with an impish smirk. She smiled even wider when Leroy stepped into the pen with her "brothers." The short Mexican, with his olive complexion and coal black hair, looked almost out of place with the two cowboys. "Well. . . it's the truth."

Dixie gave Annalyn a look, wiggling her eyebrows. "I could say the same of you and Leroy."

Annalyn feigned shock, but her pink cheeks ruined her performance. "You know we're just friends!"

"If y'all are just friends, then I'm a fruit."

Annalyn laughed, watching after her Mexican man. "You might as well be a fruit then."

"I think Jason beat me to it already. He looks very nice." Dixie giggled, a sweet smile on her face.

Annalyn shook her head at her brother, who was all bright and cheery in a sunny yellow shirt. "Maybe if you're a banana."

"Well, I have you to know I find it very appealin'."

Annalyn did her best to hold in her laughter. One giggle from Dixie was all it took, sending her into a fit of laughter. They were having such a time they didn't notice the boys coming up.

"What're you girls cacklin' over?" Tavin asked, smiling at both of them.

Dixie and Annalyn looked at each other, a sparkle of laughter lighting their eyes.

"Girl stuff," they chorused together.

"In that case, amigas, count me out. How 'bout you, cowboy?" Leroy grinned.

"As long as it's girl stuff about Dixie gettin' married to me, then I'm all good." Jason dipped his hat with a devilish smirk.

Dixie was beyond pink, and Annalyn shook her head at him. "Jason Archer! Find you somethin' better to do than terrorize poor Dixie."

"Actually, he has somethin' to do," Tavin assured Annalyn before turning to his sister. "Cowboy here is gonna try and break Stoney. Y'know, that gray horse that none of us can break?"

When the girls shared a look, Annalyn thought she saw a flicker of fear in Dixie's eyes. She couldn't blame her. They had seen the damage that gray horse could do with the Harden's other ranch hands ever since her, Jason, and Leroy arrived for a visit.

Leroy caught the look too, throwing a reassuring grin at Dixie. "He'll be fine. He has the kind of luck when he gets bucked off the horse it's been broken."

Tavin nodded in full agreement. "That he does Leroy. He is the best bronco buster anywhere."

Jason rubbed the back of his neck. "Aw hush, Tae, I ain't the best. There's someone out there that's better than me."

"I ain't found him yet," Leroy pointed out.

"Are we gonna let Jase do his specialty, or gonna hold him up gabbin' all day?" Tavin shouldered Leroy. "Let's go get the horse re-saddled."

Jason shook his head. "I'm more than able to do that."

Leroy silenced his objection with a glance. "No, Cowboy. Let us do it so you can have some time to talk to your woman while you're still whole. You might be all broken up after this."