Chapter Three

Jason smiled so wide it reached his eyes. There was nothing like traveling down memory lane on a horse. It'd been a long and painful six years since he'd rode the familiar path to the Hardens' place. Even though it'd been a while, he still knew it like the back of his hand. He was thankful for the sun's cozy rays that caressed his body as Raven plodded along. The warmth eased some of the soreness from his bones and helped him to relax. He'd had an unusually rough day, which seemed to be the normal around the ranch lately. One thought chased away every pain and any other thoughts that were in his head.

Dixie.

Man-o-man wasn't he worked up. Just a little bit farther and he would be at her house. He couldn't wait to see her, couldn't wait to taste her cooking. Today had to be his lucky day. He was getting to spend time with the woman he loved. Loved? Maybe that wasn't the correct term. But, was it really love? He cared about her with every part of his being. That was love. Wasn't it?

He had thought about her every day since the very last time he had seen her, dreaming each year of how she might've grown and how much prettier she had probably gotten. But even his wildest dreams about her could not compare to the breathtaking beauty she possessed. She had to be Heaven-sent and specially handcrafted by God. To him, she was the perfect definition of an angel. What would an angel like her want with a cowboy like him? Did he even stand a chance to win her heart?

Jason was knocked from his reasoning as Raven stopped with a jolt in the Hardens' front yard. "Well, here goes nothin'," he sighed as he slid out of the saddle.

Just as he was tying Raven to the small hitching post, the big horse snatched the reins out of Jason's hand and trotted past the house towards a pasture holding a few horses.

"Get your big black butt back over here, boy!" Jason scolded as he caught up with the ornery creature. Half-dragging and half-leading Raven, he managed to get him halfway back to the post.

"Ouch, Tavin! What're ya try'na do, stab that thing into my head?" Dixie's voice rang out from beyond a window just up ahead.

"I'm sorry. It's just not lookin' right where it's at and I'm try'na fix it."

Jason cocked his head. Their voices were coming beyond the window a few steps ahead. What were they up to? The curtain shook as one of the siblings bumped into it, gaping it open just enough for Jason to see a part of Dixie and Tavin's faces.

"Hold still! I almost have it," Tavin demanded, biting his lip in concentration as his fingers moved around in Dixie's hair.

"You may almost have it, but you also nearly have a hole stabbed into my head right there," Dixie retorted, an angry and somewhat painful frown wrinkling her brow.

Jason smiled, he had no clue what Tavin was up to, but whatever it was sure was giving him a show. He always loved seeing Dixie angry at her brother. In his opinion, she was the cutest thing ever when she was upset.

Raven gave a loud snort, causing Jason to jump and the ruckus on the other side of the window to cease.

Jason shot a glare at his horse. He couldn't have picked a more inconvenient time to make all that noise. Quickly easing past the window and praying he hadn't been seen, he held on to Raven's reins tightly and tied him to the post.

"Pa, I think Archer's here!" Jason heard Tavin call. "I believe I heard a horse right outside!"

Jason grinned in relief as he walked up the steps and onto the porch. Raven hadn't blown his cover after all. Wouldn't it have been quite embarrassing to be caught staring at Dixie through the window? A small chuckle escaped him. He didn't even want to think about it. Quickly smoothing his hands over his pants leg to straighten out the small wrinkles he'd got from riding, he rapped his knuckles on the rough wooden door. As soon as he knocked, it opened.