The next two days are a blur, I feel utterly unprepared the morning of the assessments. I stuck to the survival skills, trying not to show all of my potential. Of course we had projectiles and I excelled with knives and spears. But now it's time to give it my all. Calyp sits beside me, he hasn't said a word to me these past few days. I don't blame him for sticking with the careers, it gives him a better shot at surviving. But it dooms him for winning.

The minute the careers don't need him anymore, he's dead.

After waiting here for about half an hour the automated voice calls for Sterling from district 1. After about fifteen minutes the voice calls for Jasper, he stares me down as he enters the assessment facility.

This cycle repeats and as the male from district 3 goes in I start getting nervous. After an agonizing 15 minutes the announcer spits out my name and district. I stand up, exhaling deeply to rid myself of nerves. Before I leave Calyp grabs my hand. "Good luck." I smile at him and nod, walking away.

When I enter, the game makers are sitting on a ledge in their fancy chairs, ready to see how well I can kill. I walk into the centre and announce myself to them. "Rose Brightfall. District four." The head gamemaker nods.

"Go ahead Rose." There are three dummies with targets, a fire station, snare station, swords, knives, bows, everything. And that's what I'll do. In my ten minutes I do everything in the room. I make snares, light a fire, throw the knives in the targets chest, cut off the heads of the dummies with the sword, and shoot the bow with mild precision. After I'm done I walk back to the centre of the room and bow, walking out without them saying a word.

I walk into our apartment silently, walking straight into my room before anyone can talk to me. I hop into the shower and use the same soap I always do, the ocean scented one. I close my eyes and relax, the smell of the shampoo making me think about home.

I think about Finnick and our kiss for the first time since I've been here, it makes me angry. They've taken him from me, I could die there and never see him again. All for a show. I scream in anger and finish my shower, change into lounging clothes, and walk out into the living room and sit on the couch in a huff.

My parents come and sit on either side of me, relishing in the silence before Calyp undoubtedly joins us. "So, What did you show them?" My father asks after a few minutes of silence.

"Everything." I answer simply.

"Everything? What do you mean everything?" My mom asks in confusion.

"I mean everything. Everything they had laid out I did."

"That's great. Calyp is showering, the scores should be on tomorrow, so go get some rest." My father pats my back as I stand, heeding their advice to get some rest. As soon as my head hits the pillow I'm out. My dreams tonight consist of Finnick, us happy together, kissing, dancing, and swimming. I'm sadly awoken by my mother in the morning as she tells me the scores are about to be announced. I put on simple clothes and sit on the couch next to Po.

Calyp emerges from his bedroom in his pyjamas and takes a seat on the couch next to me. We sit in anticipation and when the T.V. sparks to life I practically jump. On comes Caesar Flickerman and he starts by telling the cameras that he will be announcing the scores. "Here we go! From district 1, Jasper, with a score of, ten." I grimace. "Sterling, also from district 1, has a score of nine." His happy voice informs us as the number flashes in-front of her image.

This continues until it gets to Calyp. "Now Calyp, our youngest tribute, has a score of eight." Everyone claps, telling him that they can work with that.

"Now Rose, our little flower has a score of..." he pauses for a minute, almost asking if his card is right. I got a zero, fuck. "Twelve. First in hunger games history! Well done!" He says happily while laughing. Did I actually earn that? Before I can think further I'm engulfed in a hug from both of my parents.

"Well done Rose! That's fantastic. Sponsors will be all over you." My father tells me happily.

I grab his arm and pull him to the side to voice my concern. "Did I earn that? Or is that to put a bigger target on my back?" I ask hurriedly. He looks to be in thought for a few seconds before responding with "You already have a target because of your mother and I, I think you earned. If you didn't, you definitely got the sponsors attention." He smiles and claps me on the shoulder, returning to the living room.

I return to my room to think. The games are tomorrow. I'll be in an arena fighting for my life tomorrow and tonight I'll be asked what pretty dress I'm wearing. Fuck, this is messed up. All I can do is survive.

And that's what's gonna happen

I promise Finnick.