day thirteen // [magnolia]*

Whippoorwill's singingSoft summer breezeMakes me think of my babyI left down in New OrleansI left down in New Orleans

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.

Whippoorwill's singing
Soft summer breeze
Makes me think of my baby
I left down in New Orleans

Magnolia, you sweet thing
You're driving me mad
Gotta get back to you, babe
You're the best I ever had

***

"Thanks, Miss Y/L/N! Always lovely to see you!"

You grinned as the salesgirl continued to sing your praises until the door closed behind you, the handles of half a dozen shopping bags biting into your skin.

"Okay, Mr. Visa Card. I'm feeling quite giddy now, so I guess I'll give you a rest," you quipped to your purse.

Your heels clacked against the stone as you made your way back towards your place, stopping every few stores to peek in the windows like Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's.

"Well, it's nice to see some things never change."

You froze in your tracks. The velvety voice that still haunted your dreams managed to undo an entire morning of retail therapy with just one sentence.

You spun around slowly, steeling yourself for the sight of him, and the first thing you noticed was that the bastard had the nerve to grow even more handsome since you'd last seen him.

He was as immaculately dressed as always, wearing a suit of deep green - your favorite. His chestnut hair was longer, brushed neatly to the side and gelled, but you still wanted to rake your fingers through it. A light stubble dusted his sharp jawline, giving him an even darker, more dangerous look, if that were possible.

But the aspect of his appearance that made your breath catch was the blossom resting at his lapel. In the pocket where his trusty handkerchiefs usually sat, there was a small silk replica of a Magnolia blossom.

You trailed your eyes over his chest, raising them slowly to meet his stare. He seemed to be having a similar reaction to seeing you again after all this time.

You cleared your throat, pursing your lips as you debated what to say. After a moment, you decided cold silence was all he deserved, and spun on your heel to march away.

"My Magnolia..." His voice was a strained whisper. "I know you miss me, too."

Although your heart was begging you to stop, to turn around and drink in the sight of the man who'd haunted your dreams since the day he'd said goodbye, your brain wasn't listening.

"I think of you every day, you know."

Click, clack, click, clack. You marched onward, ignoring the words you've been longing to hear.

"I've heard you've been seeing Stefan Salvatore again."

You stopped walking, turning back to him slowly.