day four // [rough draft]*

Prompt by my beautiful and brilliant friend Saxinator

The rain was falling in a way you'd only seen in movies, battering your umbrella as you stood miserably underneath

It was your first time in London, and you were there for one reason - to procure the Libellule Manuscript for your boss, Alaric Saltzman. As the curator of the Museum of Mystic Falls, he was desperate to add the piece to their collection.

"Yes, Mr. Saltzman. I understand. I'll get it for you - whatever it takes," you promised, ending the call.

Your eyes squeezed shut and you wondered what you'd done in a past life to deserve this trip, as you hurried inside the old mansion for the auction.

The staccato beat of your navy heels echoed off the mahogany walls and drew the attention of the other attendees. There were more people there than you'd anticipated, and a frown pulled at your crimson painted lips.

As you approached the registration table, you greeted the woman assigning paddles and handed her your ID.

"Ah, I see you're here from the University of Mystic Falls," she smiled kindly, gesturing towards a gentleman standing just a few feet away. "That man over there is from the same town. Perhaps you know one another."

As he turned to face you, your heart nervously fluttered. He was devastatingly handsome, dressed immaculately in a navy suit that likely cost more than your car. His chocolate brown hair was styled in a way that made you want to run your fingers through it, and his amber eyes were dancing down your body inconspicuously.

"No, I don't believe I have had the pleasure," you breathed, taking a copy of the item catalogue.

She then handed you a paddle with the number 20 painted in blue, and you felt a little rush of happiness.

With your lucky number on your paddle, and a hot, local guy at the auction.. perhaps this was your lucky day after all.

You made your way over to the dapper gentleman, making eye contact when he excused himself from his current conversation.

"It appears we have something in common," you said, giving him a knowing smile. "You're from Mystic Falls?"

"Indeed, I am," he said, eyeing you with interest. "Elijah Mikaelson."

"Y/N Y/L/N," you responded, breath hitching when he took your hand in his and pressed a kiss to the back.

"It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance," he murmured.

"A gentleman. I didn't know they still made men like you."

He chuckled softly.

"And I wasn't aware they had ever made a woman like you."