The Interrogation

Harry and Tom shared a look before getting up and following the man out of the Hall. The entrance hall was much less crowded than before, there were only a few straggling students speaking with teachers, and most of the faculty had gone off somewhere. There were one or two staff members in the Great Hall watching over the rest of the school, but they were aided by the Head Boy and Girl. A few Aurors also stood near the large doors leading outside and were conversing with Professor Marleious, the Charms instructor.

"Okay, then." The three of them stopped in front of the second Auror who had arrived at the pub, Travers. "Mr. Riddle, was it?" The dark-haired Auror looked at Tom.

"Yes."

"You'll be going along with Travers here, and Mr. Evans?" Harry nodded. "You'll come with me."

The four of them split off into pairs and Harry followed his interrogator into the small room where first-years were brought before their sorting.

"Alright then," the Auror started when the door had shut behind them. "I'm Auror Davis, and I have a few questions for you. I would appreciate it if you answer truthfully and with as little embellishment as possible. I don't want to stay at this school any longer than I have to."

"Okay," Harry said. He agreed with Auror Davis and also wished for their session together to be completed quickly. Interrogations made him uncomfortable.

"Good. Now, in your own words, describe your experience, please?"

So Harry did, starting with his and Tom's arrival in The Three Broomsticks, and ending with being hit by the golden spell (omitting the name of the slightly Darker curse he'd used when dueling Grindelwald's follower). Auror Davis had used a Dict-O-Quill to gather Harry's statement.

"I see, I see. And you didn't feel anything strange when you were hit with the spell? Every detail helps, especially when I have to write up my report," Auror Davis asked, not really expecting Harry to give a detailed response of any merit.

"Not really. It all happened so fast. I couldn't see anything but golden light when the spell surrounded me. I couldn't hear anything from outside it. I didn't even know Dmitry—my friend—was shooting spells at it until I heard so afterwards. There was nothing but me." Harry hesitated, contemplating whether to continue or not. "It was almost like... While I was encased in the spell, I was in my own... World."

Auror Davis looked up from the notes he was reviewing, sharply. "Your own world?"

Harry nodded once. "Yes. Like the space inside the orb where I was located was my own dimension, separate from the one where everyone else was. I don't know if it's true, that's just how I felt," he quickly amended.

"If that's the case, then, you're quite lucky the spell didn't take," Auror Davis said pensively. "It might have wiped you from existence, if that's what it was supposed to do, which makes it even more dangerous than I previously thought. Of course, it could be nothing. As you said, it's just a feeling you had. We'll just question our captives thoroughly to see if any of them know who might have shot off the spell or what it's true purpose was. It's impossible to know at this time if it was meant for you or for someone else, and you just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Harry gave a small smile. "I have a knack for that."

Auror Davis chuckled. "Good to see you still have a sense of humor after everything that's happened today. But I think that's everything I needed to know. " He quickly scanned his notes. "Yes, this seems to be a parallel to the stories your friends gave." He plucked the quill from where it hovered on its tip against the parchment, and signed his name. "Excellent. This interview is over. You may go now."