Analyzing The Situation

The door to the dorm opened and Dmitry came strolling in. "Oh," the Russian exclaimed, "you're awake. Sorry, if I knew, I would have–"

Harry waved a hand dispassionately in the air above him. "Save it. Just because we're friends, doesn't mean you're obligated to spend all your time with me, unconditionally."

"I know, but..." Dmitry trailed off, standing awkwardly near the door and fidgeting slightly. Harry let his head fall to the side and watched Dmitry's uncertain display with mild interest.

"By the way," he began, "what ever happened to you waking me up for class?"

"They were canceled," Dmitry replied smoothly, ceasing his twitchy movements. "Slughorn came in to tell us about an hour after you dozed off. He was ranting pretty heavily about Dumbledore though," he snickered. "Apparently, he was first pushing a thorough investigation of the Slytherin dorms, then all the dorms when it was pointed out that singling out one dorm was unfair and would create more bad tension between the Houses, and finally tried to push the staff to escort the students everywhere. Unfortunately for him, all his ideas were shot down by the headmaster; the last because there are simply too many students with different places they want to be."

"Did they manage to come up with any new ways to protect the students against the 'heir' threat?" Harry asked in dubious wonder.

"Nothing other than to keep a stricter eye on all of us, I suppose," Dmitry reasoned with a shrug. "What can they really do, anyway; other than round everyone up and question us under the influence of Veritaserum one by one."

Harry silently agreed. "So, what have you been doing whilst I took on the role of Sleeping Beauty?"

"Not much." Dmitry let his body slump back against the stone wall. "I worked on some unfinished homework up here for a bit. Went down to the common room to write a few letters home and socialize." His upper lip curled into a vicious snarl. "I'm going to personally murder Botolph in the most gruesome and painful way imaginable, by the way."

"Oh?" Harry had an inkling of why Dmitry was upset, but he still wanted to hear it from the horse's mouth. "How come?"

"Because I was right in my assumption. While I was down in the common room, I spoke to Orion a bit. I think he was trying to act as a peaceful intermediary for Tom... Anyway, turns out that, not only did Botolph tell them he found us together in bed, he insinuated we had sex as well."

Silence.

"I think I'll help you in that murderous ploy of yours," Harry said through grit teeth as rage bubbled up within him. He'd already had enough rumors started about him to last both his lifetimes; he didn't need any more. Especially gossip instigated by his own roommates. "Why did it seem to piss Tom off so much, though? It's my business who I sleep with, you know, if I was actually sleeping with you..."

"Well, technically you were–" Harry's frosty glare could have chilled the sun, "–but it was probably because he was jealous of our supposed closeness," Dmitry hurriedly amended with a shaky laugh.

Harry blinked owlishly. "That... makes no sense..."

"Yes it does. You told me what it was like for you and Tom at the orphanage, how close you two were. You two only had each other, and that created an odd sort of bond between you. It's why you were mad when he didn't tell you about the Chamber, probably, and why he was practically spitting fire when he thought you'd been engaging in a sexual sort of relationship with me," Dmitry explained evenly. "I've seen how possessive he can get of you at times, you can't say it's not true. Tom felt betrayed this morning at the thought that you'd kept our 'relationship' a secret, and he was overcome with wild jealousy because he believed you'd found something more important than him."

Harry didn't say anything for a long while, mulling Dmitry's words over. "I understand," he started slowly, "but I don't think you're completely correct on the jealousy point. Tom isn't like that."

"Yes, because he really wasn't jealous when he thought you had a thing for Aqulia; before it was pointed out that Orion set the two of you up," Dmitry said with a sarcastic roll of his eyes. Harry pursed his lips. Dmitry had a point... why did he have to have a point?

"Can we just not talk about it?" he asked, desperately trying to ignore the quickening of his heartbeat and the odd feeling in his stomach at Tom's supposed jealousy of Dmitry. And Aquila.

He was probably hungry; he hadn't eaten since breakfast...

"Only if you promise to go and try to talk to him soon. Appease his anger and pacify the demon lurking within that threatens to destroy us all if it isn't tamed soon."

Harry grinned and shook his head at Dmitry's over-dramatized declaration. At least he was never want for an explanation as to why the Russian got along so well with Orion.

"Okay, I'll talk to him."

Dmitry let out a whoop of joy.

"But not today. Within a week I guess." He gave Dmitry a sheepish half-smile. "I'll need to pluck up all my Gryffindor courage to face that 'demon' of his."

Dmitry sneered at the thought of Harry possessing any Gryffindor qualities within him, but it morphed into an excited smile anyway. They were going to be together again, all five of them, just like before the nasty business with Tom and his new pet basilisk. He could hardly contain his crackling anticipation.