A Hot Summer Day

Harry sat in the grass, eating the vanilla ice cream Tom had bought for him with some money they'd found in the gutter. It was a lazy summer day and no one seemed to want to move very fast. Harry finished up his cone and fell onto his back with Tom next to him, watching two particularly active children run past them, giggling, probably in the middle of a game of tag.

The grass itchy, but neither he nor Tom seemed to mind, each lost in thought.
Tom's school year had already finished and Harry was overjoyed to have his friend back full-time, but he was also worried. He had attended muggle primary school during the 1980's, and was well aware of the impending war looming over Europe's doorstep. The Nazi Party was already in control of most of Germany, Hitler was reigning as Chancellor, and nearly the whole of the German population had already been brainwashed into believing that the Nazi's were truly going to help them instead of fulfilling their own political agenda. He'd already done the math in his head and when Germany invaded Poland, officially starting the Second World War, he would hopefully be enrolled at Hogwarts.

Tom, noticing his friends unease, looked over at Harry and asked, "What are you thinking of right now?"

Harry, not wanting Tom to know or question him about how he knew what was in store for England in the future, replied with a sly smile, "Thinkin' 'bout what you got me for my birthday."

Tom chuckled softly. This was not the first time Harry had tried to weasel the information out of him, but usually he was much more sneaky about it.
"You'll see when the time comes," Tom shrugged.

Harry pouted. For some reason, whenever he pouted, Tom gave in to whatever silly request Harry made. He didn't know exactly why that was, but he liked to think it had something to do with the cuteness that oozed from him.
"But Toooommyyyyy. That's, like, two whole days from now."

Tom glared at Harry when the disgusting defilation of his name left the boy's lips. He despised the horrid nickname Harry thought up and made sure to let him know it whenever Harry dared utter the word.
Tom's scowl quickly turned into a crafty grin when he thought of the present he'd made for Harry. The depression raging in America had leaked over into other European countries and, because of that, the government wasn't granting the orphanage as much money as it used to. This in turn led to Mrs. Cole hording all the extra cash for herself that she didn't need to spend on food, essentials for the orphans, and wages for her staff. So, Tom decided to give Harry the same thing Harry'd given him on Christmas; a friendship bracelet. Tom had forced the younger boy into telling him where he'd gotten the strings and had snagged the same colors Harry's used from Martha too. Tom liked the idea that he and Harry would have something linking them together that no one else had. To him, it would show anyone who happened to get a glimpse of both boys' wrists that they were connected and that nothing could tear them apart, but more importantly, it bonded Harry to him. It showed that Harry belonged to him; was owned by him because the emerald-eyed boy would always wear the band around his wrist as a symbol of Tom's ownership. Tom inwardly cackled at the possessive thoughts. Harry was undoubtedly his for life.

Harry ignored the eerie aura engulfing Tom's being and changed his musings into ones that would help him attain more food since the ice cream was gone but his stomach still wasn't full. He lay on his back with his eyes closed and started to rub his abdomen, knowing Tom would get the message and praying he would respond to it.

"How can you still be hungry after eating that ice cream?"

"I'm always hungry. It's not like we ever get completely full at Wool's," Harry retorted, enjoying the balmy rays playing on his exposed eyelids.

"True..."

Harry allowed the silence to continue, choosing not to reply and consequently letting Tom ponder what they would do about the situation. Tom always wanted Harry to be happy, not that the other boy minded. He knew it was very selfish of him, but he liked having someone always trying for him to be happy. It might just be Tom's way of apologizing for having to be in school for nine and a half months, but Harry was fine with that.

He heard the grass rubbing against cloth beside him, so he rolled his head over and cracked open an eye to observe what Tom was doing. The boy in question has stood and was brushing off the seat of his pants. He glanced down at Harry and ordered, "Well, get up."

Harry smiled and sluggishly righted himself but did not make any move to stand.
"What for?"

Tom sighed and crossed his arms over his chest glaring pointedly at the boy situated on the grass.
"You're hungry, aren't you?"

"Yes, but dinner's hours away-"

"So we'll find something elsewhere," Tom interrupted. "Do you want something or not?" Not waiting for an answer, Tom turned away from Harry and quickly walked in the opposite direction from the orphanage.

Harry giggled as sat up and chased after Tom, wishing that he never had to return to the future and could just stay in this happy time forever.

AN: Hey guys! Sorry for the late chapter but here's some fluff :)) Don't forget to  like and comment if you're reading this or enjoy what I'm writing.